Lethargic chicken/ wont stand up but is eating and drinking?!?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nlbeardmore, Oct 7, 2011.

1. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Yesterday we noticed our friendliest chicken, Princess Freckles, very withdrawn with her tail down and acting like she was drunk. We live in the UK and it has all of a sudden gone very cold and windy so at first we thought she had been knocked over by something. We brought her inside in a cage so she could rest her legs. She has been eating and drinking well but has got dramatically worse as today has passed by. She wont attempt to stand and just flops to the side with her wing hanging out. Im now thinking she wont make it through the night, however if someone has any clues on what could be wrong with her or any solutions on what i could do to help her i would be very grateful as she is a very special bird to us. By the way she is a pullet and as far as i know has not started to lay. Should be around 20 weeks old.
    Please please please help [​IMG]

2. fezlet

fezlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    What's her poop look like? Does she seem like she's unbalanced? Is she skinny?

3. nlbeardmore

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Her poo is just like mushy food, its all collecting up as she cannot move around. She has never been a heavy chickens so i would say yes she is skinny but eats well. She was very unbalanced at first but now does not attempt to use her legs, just fall to the side with both legs out to the side of her [​IMG]

4. fezlet

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    I know how much it hurts to have a baby in pain, and I do wish I could help you more. I hope someone sees this thread who will have more information than I do. Have you tried treating her for cocci yet? Do you use any wormer on your flock? And have you noticed any of the other bird exhibiting the same symptoms?

5. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    High Springs, FL
    Do you have Mareks over there?

6. nlbeardmore

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Woke up this morning to find she didnt make it [​IMG]. She was very weak last night so it didnt surprise me much. I am not sure whether we do have mareks? How would i find this out. Also if she has died from a disease, which it looks like, how can i ensure the other chickens will not catch it? I put her into quarantine when i noticed her not herself but she may have already been infected? I have not noticed the other chickens acting different but will be getting some extra vitamin supplement to add to their water very soon!
    Any help please!

7. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    ministry of health or local vet will be able to give you info on necropsies and testing to find out cause of death just dont bury the poor dear yet. contact them first for info how to treat the deceased dears body. sorry for you loss:(

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  8. fezlet

Sep 19, 2011
    Alabama
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by