Lethargic chicken, yellow watery poop

jesslynne

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2017
My 6 month chicken started looking lethargic today. I noticed her sitting in the nesting box a few times but no eggs. Looks like her tail pulsating and it's kind of drooped. She's been laying for a a out a month. I thought she might be egg bound so I gave her a warm epsom salt bath and tried to feed her some calcium with some mash but she's not interested. I did see her poop, it's very runny with some yellow. Any idea what could be wrong??? Thanks!
20191001_175755.jpg

I agree that looks like egg material, both yolk and albumen. Some pullets can experience laying disorders that can shorten their lives. Provide the calcium with vitamin D3 for several days. Tums plus some cooked egg yolk ( for D3) or a human calcium with D3 tablet would work, and offer foods to keep her eating. This might happen again, and it can make them feel weak and lethargic while it is happening. Hopefully, she will get back to laying again soon.

My 6 month chicken started looking lethargic today. I noticed her sitting in the nesting box a few times but no eggs. Looks like her tail pulsating and it's kind of drooped. She's been laying for a a out a month. I thought she might be egg bound so I gave her a warm epsom salt bath and tried to feed her some calcium with some mash but she's not interested. I did see her poop, it's very runny with some yellow. Any idea what could be wrong??? Thanks! View attachment 1922953
You could give her a Tum’s, just break it up into about six pieces and hold her in your lap and open her beak and give them to her one by one. Seems like that has always worked for my chickens.

What are you feeding your hens? Do they have crushed oyster shell and grit available as well? I have seen hens lay soft shell eggs, shell-less eggs, wrinkled shells, and misshapen eggs after my flock had an outbreak of infectious bronchitis, a virus that causes sneezing, and also can affect the reproductive tract afterwards, sometimes for life. All of my hens had plenty of calcium available, but still a few continued to have the problems. Some have died prematurely because of their reproductive problems.

I did feel around on her stomach and I don't feel anything. I didnt check her vent because I'm out of gloves. She seemed to perk back up a few hrs later and is eating and drinking now. This morning she seems back to herself. Still no egg though.

You could give her a Tum’s, just break it up into about six pieces and hold her in your lap and open her beak and give them to her one by one. Seems like that has always worked for my chickens.
The Tums usually helps right away. I do that as soon as I see one of my chickens sitting there hunched over. You don’t want your chickens to be laying soft shelled eggs internally, it can kill them.

I did feel around on her stomach and I don't feel anything. I didnt check her vent because I'm out of gloves. She seemed to perk back up a few hrs later and is eating and drinking now. This morning she seems back to herself. Still no egg though.
I'm glad she's feeling better. Expelling material like that or having a soft shell/shell-less egg can make them feel really bad. Hopefully it's a one time glitch and all will be o.k.

I usually still give mine extra calcium and poultry vitamins (direct dose) for for 1-2 days if they have had any troubles - sometimes that helps.

It's ideal to have gloves, but if it happens again and you don't have any, wash your hands really well, lubricate a small finger with a bit of vaseline or lubricant and feel inside the vent about 1-2" to feel for an egg. Then wash up good.

Back
Top Bottom