Lethargic chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bessinator, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Bessinator

Bessinator Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2015
    I have an almost one year old Orpington. She is very lethargic and seems to be shivering. She won't eat or drink anything. Although, I did manage to get her to drink some liquid vitamins. So we isolated her, and she just seems to want to sleep.

I checked her crop, there doesn't seem to be anything in it. Then I checked to see if she was egg bound, and didn't feel anything there either. Her comb is normal colored, but feels a bit cool to the touch.

I Just went back out, to try to get her to drink some more. She won't drink, and now seems to have some kind of foam in her mouth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bessinator

Apr 17, 2015
    I also forgot to mention, yesterday she was running funny. She was kind of waddling like a penguin when trying to run, but could walk normally. Now she can't walk at all.

3. Bessinator

Apr 17, 2015
    She died; and I'll never know why because I didn't get a single response.

4. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    I am sorry for your loss. Diagnosing illness in chickens is difficult. I do not have any experience with the type of symptoms you described.. If you are concerned about the health of the rest of your flock you can have a necropsy done on the bird to try and determine the cause of death.

5. dsparsonnet

dsparsonnet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015

6. dsparsonnet

dsparsonnet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    I'm so sorry about your chicken! I'm dealing with a lethargic one today too- it's hard to administer medication when they won't eat or drink... and frustrating when answers aren't there... good luck on future chickens and blessings !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by