Lethargic Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by michelledunn1980, Jun 21, 2010.

1. michelledunn1980

michelledunn1980 New Egg

Jun 21, 2010
    First time posting here. First time raising my own flock too! So I am trying to do things right.

1) What type of bird , age and weight. BARRED ROCK, 5.5 MONTHS, WAS HEALTHY AND STARTED TO LOOSE WEIGHT THIS LAST WEEK
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. WAS RUNNING AROUND RUN TILL THIS AFTERNOON. FOUND HER SITTING IN A PUDDLE OF WATER. WE LIVE IN CENTRAL, SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI AND UNDER HEAT WAVES SO I'VE BEEN REDOING WATER 3 TIMES A DAY. I WENT IN AND PICKED HER UP. TAIL FEATHERS WERE SOAKED AND DROOPING. HEAD SLIGHTLY BENT OVER. SHE WOULD STAND BUT WOULDN'T WALK. THEN SHE'D SIT DOWN. I BROUGHT HER IN AND PUT HER IN PORTABLE COOP WITH BEDDING AND FRESH WATER AND LAYING CRUMBLES. SHE PECKED AT IT ONCE BUT THEN TURNED AWAY.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? SINCE NOON MONDAY.
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. HEAT? MY CHICKENS HAVE NOT BEEN VACCINATED FOR MAREKS. I JUST DEWORMED LAST WEEK SINCE OUR DOGS VET RECOMMENDED IT SINCE WORMS ARE BAD IN OUR AREA (WE ARE NEW THE AREA). I PLAN ON DEWORMING REGULARLY.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. SHE WAS ON PURINA LAYING CRUMBS, PLAIN WATER. SHE STOPPED CONSUMING ANYTHING BETWEEN 6AM AND NOON TODAY.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. WHITE AND RUNNY HER LAST TIME IN THE PORTABLE COOP.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I HAD BROUGHT HER IN.
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? SHE HAS DIED THIS EVENING. LAID ON HER SIDE AND THAT WAS IT. LEGS DID NOT GO STIFF SO I DON'T BELIEVE IT WAS MAREKS?? BUT HAVE NEVER SEEN IT BEFORE.
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. NO WOUND.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use SLEPT ON ROOST IN FENSED IN GRASSY YARD.

I have about 30 other mixed poultry in the run. I am needing to know if I need to medicate them or change something? Thanks so much! Michelle

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I don't have a clue. But watch the others closely to see if they exhibit any signs of sickness. If it were anything major, I would think others would have it too. I could be wrong, so I hope someone with more knowledge comes along.
    Edited to add: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by