Lethargic chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AtlantisPeeps, Dec 3, 2014.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    This has been a long road for this chicken. She started out very healthy a couple months ago, now she's sick all over the place. It started with her eye being very swollen. She was also sneezing, so I was injecting her with Tylan 50 for 5 days. The swelling in her eye has gone down, but she is just standing there. I have to bring food and water to her, because she won't go to get any... Whenever one of her three buddies she's with gets near her or grazes up against her, she screams. Her wings are not droopy, and no diarrhea. Just a swollen eye still (smaller, no discharge, not red, seems to be itchy) and the lethargic issue. What do I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Does she need to be kept warm? Is she huddling like she is cold? Sometimes with respiratory diseases there can be secondary infections in the body such as E. coli or airsacculitis, and if mycoplasma was the culprit, she could possibly have mycoplasma in her bones. Do you see any swelling in her feet or or joints? Does she seem in pain. If she hasn't been wormed yet, I would deworm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days. Probiotics in her water or feed will help get her intestinal bacteria back to normal. Sometimes it is hard to figure out what is going on with them, making it necessary to rule out anything possible.

3. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    She is in a temporary run in our garage to keep her and the other chicks warm for the winter. It's about 10 degrees warmer in there, and she is not shivering. No swelling, and she does not seem to be in pain. I will worm all of the chicks that are in with her. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by