Lethargic Chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shaspen, Feb 19, 2015.

1. shaspen

shaspen New Egg

Feb 19, 2015
    Hello- my hen has been standing or sitting, hardly moving. Not eating but has been drinking. She has some dried poop on her backside. She walks very gingerly. Please do you have any suggestions as to what's going on. She is 9 months old.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Is she lethargic or having runny droppings? Coccidiosis could cause some of those symptoms along with the ones you describe. Corid or amprollium is the best treatment for that. Can you examine her feet for any dark spots on foot pads, or swelling and redness of joints? I would also check inside her vent 1-2 inches with a gloved finger for a stuck egg. Is she having any signs of lameness? Has she been wormed lately?

3. shaspen

shaspen New Egg

Feb 19, 2015
    Thanks for all that. In the meantime I had given her some homemade yogurt which seemed to perk her up right away and cleaned off her rear a little bit. I believe she even just layed an egg! I will check her feet though and keep an eye on her just in case! Thanks!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully her symptoms were due to needing to lay that egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by