Lethargic chicken as of last night

Nicrom

Songster
Apr 26, 2021
NW Georgia
Hello,
My barred rock is 15 weeks old and starting last evening is exhibiting signs of lethargy. She is standing with her eyes closed. I separated her today and she’s in our sunroom in a dog crate that I just bought since she might be in it for a few day and I see now is good to have on hand.
She isn’t eating her food but ate some egg yoke and then a little scrambled eggs not to long ago. I‘ve given her water with a little ACV and garlic. She only took a little drink or two. I’ve been able to hold the water to her and she reflectively drinks some.
She’s had a small amount of electrolyte and probiotic water as well that I’ve held up to her. No sign of respiratory issues that I can tell... I did rub a little vet RX under her wing this morning. Any other things I can be doing to help her? It’s amazing how much I care for this little girl, I really don’t want her to suffer. Right now she is sleeping in her crate.
Also 3 watery poops.
I don’t think her comb and waddle are too pale.
The last picture I posted I took just now trying to show her sleeping but I bumped the window and she woke up. Earlier she was not alert at all and didn’t wake up when I went out there. So that good I hope....

Attachments

• D74A5B7F-C197-40BD-AEBE-ECC806B11D93.jpeg
    D74A5B7F-C197-40BD-AEBE-ECC806B11D93.jpeg
    779.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 7FE3AE95-5D4A-4FBA-BC57-5F9209420066.jpeg
    7FE3AE95-5D4A-4FBA-BC57-5F9209420066.jpeg
    597.5 KB · Views: 5
  • F45C0248-5517-4439-A826-989D6E95930B.jpeg
    F45C0248-5517-4439-A826-989D6E95930B.jpeg
    648.4 KB · Views: 5
  • B438CFFD-1E67-4D73-AAAF-207F26EF5CB9.jpeg
    B438CFFD-1E67-4D73-AAAF-207F26EF5CB9.jpeg
    720.7 KB · Views: 5
Hello,
My barred rock is 15 weeks old and starting last evening is exhibiting signs of lethargy. She is standing with her eyes closed. I separated her today and she’s in our sunroom in a dog crate that I just bought since she might be in it for a few day and I see now is good to have on hand.
She isn’t eating her food but ate some egg yoke and then a little scrambled eggs not to long ago. I‘ve given her water with a little ACV and garlic. She only took a little drink or two. I’ve been able to hold the water to her and she reflectively drinks some.
She’s had a small amount of electrolyte and probiotic water as well that I’ve held up to her. No sign of respiratory issues that I can tell... I did rub a little vet RX under her wing this morning. Any other things I can be doing to help her? It’s amazing how much I care for this little girl, I really don’t want her to suffer. Right now she is sleeping in her crate.
Also 3 watery poops.
I don’t think her comb and waddle are too pale.
The last picture I posted I took just now trying to show her sleeping but I bumped the window and she woke up. Earlier she was not alert at all and didn’t wake up when I went out there. So that good I hope....
It is hard to tell sometimes. I go with antibiotics a lot even when not sure.
It never seems to do any harm. Does she free range? Could she have eaten something?

My barred rock is 15 weeks old and starting last evening is exhibiting signs of lethargy. She is standing with her eyes closed.

She isn’t eating her food but ate some egg yoke and then a little scrambled eggs not to long ago. I‘ve given her water with a little ACV and garlic. She only took a little drink or two
Can you tell us what her crop feels like?
The poop looks to have a lot of mucous are they all like that?
Worms and/or Coccidiosis comes to mind. Any way you can get a fecal float through a vet?

If her crop is fluid or air filled, then I would also treat that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It is hard to tell sometimes. I go with antibiotics a lot even when not sure.
It never seems to do any harm. Does she free range? Could she have eaten something?
They have a covered run and when I let them out I’m right there with them. But it’s still possible she did get into something. Thank you for your response!!!

Can you tell us what her crop feels like?
The poop looks to have a lot of mucous are they all like that?
Worms and/or Coccidiosis comes to mind. Any way you can get a fecal float through a vet?

If her crop is fluid or air filled, then I would also treat that.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I tried to feel her crop but I can’t tell what’s going on. I’ll research the correct way to do this. From what I can tell it seems empty. She is now standing up eating eating more scrambled eggs. Everyone else seems to be doing well with normal looking poop. Will DE in her food help with possible worms? I have no idea about a vet around here but I can look into it. Thank you for the link!!

I tried to feel her crop but I can’t tell what’s going on. I’ll research the correct way to do this. From what I can tell it seems empty. She is now standing up eating eating more scrambled eggs. Everyone else seems to be doing well with normal looking poop. Will DE in her food help with possible worms? I have no idea about a vet around here but I can look into it. Thank you for the link!!
It's good that she standing and eating a little.
I would work on getting her hydrated and eating her chick starter. Egg is good too.

Unfortunately, DE is not an effective de-wormer. Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are both good de-wormers to use. You can find Safeguard liquid goat de-wormer at TSC.

To treat Coccidiosis, you would need Corid.

The crop is on the right side of her breast. You should be able to feel it when she's been drinking/eating. It should feel like a bump or pouch that holds the water/food - think of it as a "holding pouch". It will fill (and empty some) as she eats/drinks during waking hours and it's normal for it to be full at roosting time. (Crop filled) During the night, the contents of the crop empties and is processed through the digestive system.
IF the crop is still full, squishy, doughy, fluid or air filled in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, then the crop is not emptying correctly. This is usually symptom of something else going on - it can be a number of things - a blockage, inflammation in the body that is slowing the system down, etc. Sometimes you have to address symptoms and see how things play out.

I'm glad she is feeling better. It's always good to have some chicken meds on hand before they get sick..

It's good that she standing and eating a little.
I would work on getting her hydrated and eating her chick starter. Egg is good too.

Unfortunately, DE is not an effective de-wormer. Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are both good de-wormers to use. You can find Safeguard liquid goat de-wormer at TSC.

To treat Coccidiosis, you would need Corid.

The crop is on the right side of her breast. You should be able to feel it when she's been drinking/eating. It should feel like a bump or pouch that holds the water/food - think of it as a "holding pouch". It will fill (and empty some) as she eats/drinks during waking hours and it's normal for it to be full at roosting time. (Crop filled) During the night, the contents of the crop empties and is processed through the digestive system.
IF the crop is still full, squishy, doughy, fluid or air filled in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink, then the crop is not emptying correctly. This is usually symptom of something else going on - it can be a number of things - a blockage, inflammation in the body that is slowing the system down, etc. Sometimes you have to address symptoms and see how things play out.
This morning she is again eating some and drinking quite a bit. Very agitated that’s she’s penned up, which is a good sign I believe. Yesterday she was so out of it she didn’t notice. Last night when I was closing up the coop for the others I felt for their crops. A few were full and I was able to see what you’re talking about. That is very helpful to know. I guess because she hasn’t eaten much I still can’t feel anything significant. Hoping that’s good. She is doing really well so far today. I went and bought Corid last night. And it’s good to know I can use the wormer for goats. Thank you again for all your help!

Update: She is eating a little of her chick starter. Not as much as I would like but eating some. I stated her and the entire flock on Corid last night. So that will go on for 5-7 days I believe. Can I use the Safeguard at the same time as the Corid? Because I can start that today if so.
She is very agitated now being penned up (I'm glad she is still feisty). She escaped last night through the screened door, that I left open just a crack and went running to the run to see the others. I feel horrible and she's even more upset. I'm working today but my husband works from home now and he saw her eating some and drinking quite a bit. Poop is still green but she isn't pooping too much. I'm guessing that is from her not eating enough? Still looks better, I think, than the first day.

Back
Top Bottom