Lethargic chickens, then death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clintdaniels83, May 7, 2013.

1. clintdaniels83

clintdaniels83 Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    Well everyone, I must say that I am having quite the week. First off I lost a few birds to a red fox. Now that I have solved that issue for now, my 6 week old birds seem to be getting sick. They are very lethargic, and die within a few hours 6-12 it seems. Did a thorough inspection of coop and run, and found some blood in stools. Cocci is what I figured so I started sulmet today. Sound about right to y'all?

2. clintdaniels83

clintdaniels83 Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    Any thoughts

3. clintdaniels83

clintdaniels83 Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    Ok two more chickens died, I need some help

4. JesBarthel

JesBarthel Chirping

Apr 1, 2013
    Lake Disston, FL
    From my experience, and what I've read on the forum, once you see the bloody stool, Cocci is pretty hard to contend with. My very first batch of chicks got sick, and I recognized the signs too late, and didn't get the meds fast enough and all but 1 died :(

I can recommend though, that you use Corid (amprolium) rather than sulmet, as Corid kills all 9 strains of cocci, and Sulmet only deals with 2. Plus Corid isn't as harsh on the chicks system. Also, don't give them any other supplements or vitamins while they're on the Corid, Keep them all warm, and keep their bedding extremely clean, and make sure their water and dishes are cleaned.

The coop/brooder will need to be thoroughly cleaned. I've heard ammonia is a good cleanser for cocci, as bleach won't kill it.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

1 person likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Glen St Mary, Florida
    Purchase Corid 9.6% liquid solution. Dosage is 9.5cc's per gallon of water for 5 days. Dont add anything to the mixture, make a fresh mixture daily. Corid can be found in the cattle section at a feed store.

6. clintdaniels83

clintdaniels83 Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    Ok just got corid. How much is 9.5cc redneck style? 2tbs? Anyone

7. JesBarthel

JesBarthel Chirping

Apr 1, 2013
    Lake Disston, FL
    It's a little less than 2 teaspoons :)

8. mg15

mg15 Songster

Aug 22, 2012
    Oh, my...
    How many 6 weeks olds did you lose. ?
    I have two week olds right now and always looking for
    something.
    I have them on the medicated feed for now.

9. clintdaniels83

clintdaniels83 Chirping

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm on a medicated feed. Current count is 9. Just lost 2 more an hour or so ago. I have both mess now, and just playing damage control. They can plan on this being a yearly regiment. I hope this ends soon, it's like the plague.

10. sanmar4chickens

sanmar4chickens Chirping

May 2, 2013
    Texas

I am sorry about your chicks. :( I am new also I have 4 chicks.

Could you please post a picture of the medicine corrid. I went to TSC couldn't find it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: