lethargic chickie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Theda's Mom, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and to chickens (though I have a very knowledgeable and generous neighbor, and I've read just about everything I can get my hands on). My 6 chicks arrived last sunday, and were all doing very well until Friday, when we noticed the Speckled Sussex pasting up. We got her cleaned off and have kept her clean, but she's not thriving the way the other five are. The sussex eats, she drinks, but she just doesn't seem all that interested in her surroundings. Mostly she wants to sleep under the heat lamp.

This is a huge change from her demeanor up until Friday. From Sunday through Thursday, she was a ball of fire, zipping all over the brooder, playing, investigating, and generally being a happy busy chick.

Other than the lethargy, and the one incident of pasting, there are no other clinical indications. Her eyes are clear, no swollen joints, no visible wounds, nothing like that. She's not peeping unhappily. She was also vaccinated before leaving McMurray's.

In fact, might she be reacting to the vaccination? (I read somewhere that such is not unheard of, and that the reaction could manifest itself as lethargy.)

Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Susan

2. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    Well, it definetely could be because of the vaccines, but I don't know if she'd be pasty from that...I really haven't a clue, but until someone can help you out, I'd just make sure she continues to get enough food, and water especially. And make sure the others don't start to peck her or anything like that...

Well, good luck! [​IMG]

3. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I have a Speckled Sussex who was exactly the same: all she did was stand under the lamp. She was smaller and wouldn't eat treats either, and seemed to avoid the fun the other chicks were having (keep-away!). I was worried she was sick and just wouldn't make it.

One day, when I was giving out bits of chopped up strawberry, she suddenly came to life and grabbed some of it. Since then, she has been much more lively, (she's now three weeks old) though she can still be found under the heatlamp and she's small (but growing).

4. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    Thanks, Pattycake! Hearing about your girl makes me feel better about mine. Her diminutive size is all the more obvious courtesy of her brooder mates - the godzilla chicks: a Buff Orpington, aBarred Rock, a Silver-Laced Wynadotte, a Delaware, and a not quite as big (yet) Light Brahma.

I did notice today that the Sussex has a swollen foot (whatever is comparable to our arch?) which she's careful with. I can't find any sign of a wound, so perhaps she twisted it tearing around earlier in the week. In any event, she continues to hang out under the light, but is eating, drinking, and is quite alert. I thought about isolating her, but she was not interested in being separated from her girlfriends and peeped loudly. Rather than stress her more, I put her back in the brooder - under the light, and with a pile of chick feed on a paper towel.

The other girls are a trip. The Barred Rock has adopted me .. as soon as I reach into the brooder, she hops onto my arm. The Wynadotte started doing the same this evening. The Buff Orpington thinks I'm the devil incarnate.

I'm loving how distinctive the personalities are, even at such a tender age.

Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by