Lethargic, congested hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KellerTX, Mar 11, 2012.

1. KellerTX

KellerTX Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    I have an approximately 15 month old Cuckoo Maran. She didn't get off the roost this morning (roosting in the run). I took her off and put her in the yard. She didn't want to walk around much. Didn't want to scratch. Only saw her peck at some grass once or twice. No problems standing. Color looks ok. She did go back to the run, take a few drinks and fly up on the roost around dusk. Sounds like she does have some congestion. We took her out of the run and have her in a crate in the house. Haven't seen a poop yet. I think she last laid two days ago. Other hens seem fine.

Suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. KellerTX

Jan 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    She also has some moisture around her nostrils, I guess like sinus drainage.

3. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    No bubbles or goo in her eyes?

4. KellerTX

Jan 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    No, her eyes are completely clear and dry.

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Huh. When you say she is congested, is it in her nose or in her chest?

6. KellerTX

Jan 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    Not sure. It sounded like congested breathing, so I thought it was in her chest. Not hearing it this morning so far.

7. KellerTX

Jan 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    1st hen is in about the same condition as yesterday. Might be breathing a little bit more quiet. She has had a couple of small dark green or black poops since yesterday.

Her sister (I think), that runs around with her, had the same symptoms today - lethargic and didn't want to free range. So we brought her in the house. Her breathing is more labored. Looks like some mucus in her nose and mouth.

Seems a lot like what you would call a respiratory infection in a person. Marcy had some Clavimox so the 1st hen has just received her 3rd dose and the 2nd hen just got a 1st dose.

8. KellerTX

Jan 23, 2012
    Keller, Texas
    After 1 dose of antibiotics, the hen with the real breathing difficulty is better. The first hen now has a lot more head and eye movement, so she seems to be improving as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by