Lethargic Days-Old Chick & Month-Old Chick Straining (Prolapse??)

avidity

Songster
Dec 30, 2020
Western WA
I know both of these issues have been addressed a million times already, but I'm not seeing much improvement and maybe some new medical discovery has been made in the past week? So here I am, another anxious chicken mom.

I have two problem chicks, both bantams. One hatched on the 2nd: it's sleeping most of the time, and I haven't seen it eating or drinking very much. Sometimes it picks at the food. Yesterday it just dropped whatever food it picked up and then went back to sleep. I dipped its beak in sugar water and electrolyte water every 15 minutes or so yesterday afternoon, and it did look like it was eating a little this morning. But it still isn't zooming around like the others, and I haven't seen it drinking yet. What else can I do?

The other chick is 5 weeks old. I noticed yesterday evening that she was straining to poop, but I think it's been going on for a couple of days. She goes into a sort-of penguin stance and cheeps loudly, and often waddles a little. Most of the time she isn't successful, occasionally she manages to poop a little. During the one clear view I got today, it looked like she almost pushed her vent inside out. Her droppings look dry and maybe a little chunkier than usual.

This morning, I gave her a ten minute epsom salt bath, during which she struggled and succeeded to poop a little. I saw her sip a little of the salt water, and I tried giving her coconut oil and yogurt last night and after her bath (she refused both apart from what I managed to get into her beak). I haven't seen improvement since then, and I haven't seen her drinking yet today or moving around except for another waddle episode. I have rubbed a little coconut oil on her vent. She hasn't been very keen on eating the coconut oil or yogurt, even when mixed with her usual feed, and she's so small I'm afraid I'll hurt her if I try to force feed her more, well, forcefully. I'm going to pick up the smallest syringe I can find today, but is there another way I can encourage her to take the coconut oil without help?

Both chicks are fed non-medicated starter crumble mixed with water and a little ACV. We serve it more soft than soupy. They also have access to fresh water, sugar water, electrolyte water with probiotics, grated carrot, a small bowl of dirt, and yogurt mixed with crumble (no chick has touched that, though lol). Their bedding is pine shavings.

Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

What is the temperature of your brooder and are the 2 chicks being kept together? I would try giving a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench daily for several days. Try offering some wet chicken feed in a small bowl to get them taking mire fluids. What do the poops look like in the younger one? Coconut oil can be chilled and cut into small slivers to offer the constipated chick to peck.

What is the temperature of your brooder and are the 2 chicks being kept together? I would try giving a couple of drops of Poultry NutriDrench daily for several days. Try offering some wet chicken feed in a small bowl to get them taking mire fluids. What do the poops look like in the younger one? Coconut oil can be chilled and cut into small slivers to offer the constipated chick to peck.
Both chicks are kept together with about fifteen others; three are 5 weeks, the rest under 1 week. I'm actually not sure what temperature the brooder is -- we raise and lower the heat lamp based on how the chicks act. The brooder is big enough that the chicks can get away from the heat. The younger chick's droppings look normal.

I gave them a watery slush of crumble, yogurt, oil, and grit earlier today, and both of them ate it. I also gave the constipated chick another epsom bath. She's still straining and crying, but the episodes have decreased and don't last as long.

I'll try the nutridrench. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom