Lethargic Dominique - Egg laying time?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheIvoryKitty, Dec 8, 2011.

1. TheIvoryKitty

TheIvoryKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Central California
    Hello all!

I've got a batch of 15 week old chickens, and as far as I know they are too young to start laying eggs. However, today I walked into the coop and my little Dominique was still in the hen house standing half-asleep in one of the nesting boxes (which they never get into). She was in there for a few hours and I noticed her crop was pretty empty. I tried to feed her but she wasn't interested. She just kept dozing off and waking herself up. Is this lethargic attitude normal for a hen that's getting ready to lay eggs, or should I worry that she's not feeling okay?

Thanks guys! - I always get tons of help on these forums! [​IMG]

2. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    sorry to say i think she is sick coz my hen did that for a whole day then slowly integrated back into the flock like ntuhin happend she mite not make it for u but or she could be egg bound

3. TheIvoryKitty

TheIvoryKitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    Central California
    Oh no, so what can I do? Just sit around and hope she feels better?

I don't know how she could have gotten sick. It's been pretty cold at night lately, but I live in California so our "cold" isn't really that cold. [​IMG]

She looks sort of puffy too....Picture

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by