Lethargic, dull comb, smelly vent, 'wobbly' hen.........

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aznewmom, Jan 18, 2014.

1. aznewmom

aznewmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    Tucson
    Hi guys.
    I have been outta commission w/a badly broken ankle/leg, since Labor Day.
    My kids and DH had to take over caring for my hens. I have 9 of them.
    I am SURE that even though the basics have been done, the real cleaning and
    checking over of the girls has suffered. Apparently things have been okay, until
    this morning.
    Egg laying has dropped off to zero. Either the family cannot find the eggs, they
    are being eaten, or it's just winter. I have been mostly thinking the latter, but
    the weather here is now in the low 70s (F) the past week or so.

So, this morning, one of the gals who normally runs, just sat there. As my
    husband tried to get her, he says she pretty much just fell over. He brought her in and she was stinky. I was able to take her to the bathtub and washed her backside all up. It was pretty nasty smelling, and yellowish water went down the drain. Nothing seems particularly swollen nor red. Her vent appears to be rather normal, nice pinkish, in appearance, however it looks super small to me. She has not pooped since brought in earlier. She is dried off and now in a cat crate, inside the house since it is still cool. She has half heartedly pecked at a piece of bread. I don't see mites, but probably need to look a bit closer to make sure. All other birds seem fine, according to DH, w/the exception of the lack of eggs. This particular bird was adopted by us, along with 3 others, last summer. The owners could no longer care for them. They were all around a year old and laying at the time we got them.

We recently tried a new organic, mash food, which we will probably no longer use. Not sure if that is contributing to the non-laying.
    Guess that's all the info I have...................................

Anyone out there have any ideas of what might be going on with her?
    I'm going back to have a peek at her now. Hopefully she has pooped.
    I'm going to try some more food and get her some water, but quite honestly, don't know where to go after that.

TIA for any advice!!!!!!!
    Cheers,
    Stacy

2. aznewmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Tucson
    Just a bump up.
    Thanks!

3. bernaboo111

bernaboo111 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am having the same prob with my hen Nugget. She is eating alright, but she could eat more. Her poo seems to be a blueish green with some yellow mixed in. She has poo running down her feathers underneath her vent, and she is acting really tired. She is also wobbly on her feet. What could be going on? She is a big eater normally so this really has me worried. Please help!!!!!

4. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Could be anything. A poop will help - maybe try worming her? I think wazine, but in new to chickens so search the forum for how to worm and what to use. How is her weight? The only other things I would suggest is to check her to see if she is egg bound (again search forum). Keep her hydrated - pedialyte or chick starter if you have it - and see if she will eat some scrambled eggs. You might also search for tube feeding. It's actually pretty easy, but make sure you have help for the first couple of times.

Good luck.
    E

5. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Bernaboo - could you provide some more info? How long has this been going on. Any recent changes (new feed, new flock members), age, egg laying history. Is it just Nugget? How is her weight?

6. aznewmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Tucson
    Wow! Blue green?!?! That sounds weird.
    Mine is not eating anything now. Just sitting down in the carrier.
    She is super thin...........I went back and got her out, felt her all over and just bony. :(
    Since I've been outta commission, I just am out of touch with when and how much they are eating.
    There is ZERO poop in the carrier. So, she has not pooped in hours. I guess, sometimes, we maybe just never know what went wrong.
    I hope she will snap out of it, but am not holding on to a lot of hope if she won't eat.
    I hope your girl can get better too! This is always tough.
    :(

7. aznewmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Tucson
    Thanks, E.
    Yeah, I guess I may have to try that.
    I'm not sure how to go about it though.
    I need to get her some water. I wonder if she will even take THAT.

8. bernaboo111

I just got home from a meeting in Dallas TX, so I do not know how long it has been going on. But I would guess a couple of days?
    I have one new chicken, but she is in a whole different pen, plus she has been here for almost 6 months so I don't think that is it.
    She is almost 2.
    She is a pretty good egg layer, but since the light is so few here, I have not been getting many eggs.
    It is just Nugget. All the others are fine.
    She is pretty light. I don't know her previous weight so I don't know for sure....
    Her crop is almost empty. I got her to eat some layer feed and some scratch and sunflower seeds, and got her to drink some water, but she is still acting weird.
    She also has a little bit of frostbite. Not much, but a little bit.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  9. bernaboo111

aznewmom, try giving her yogurt soaked bread, and see if that helps. It has lots of protein and they seem to love it. Put water in a small bowl and put the bowl up to her beak, and most of the time they will take it.

10. aznewmom

Mar 28, 2008
    Tucson
    Thanks! I will try this.
    Off to check on her again.
    Perhaps I need to attempt to check up IN her vent.
    DH just brought me home a book so maybe there are some tips on how to do that w/o hurting her.
    Wish me luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by