Lethargic EE with no specific symptoms??

CityGirlintheCountry

Green Eggs and Hamlet
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
Middle TN
1) What type of bird , age and weight.
three year old EE. Don't know weight, but she is of average size compared to my other chickens

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Lethargic. Found her huddled in the corner at bedtime (under the coop, not with the roosts). Got her to stand for a second, but then she sank back down to the ground. Even with me moveing around her she just stayed laying on the ground.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
I am unsure. I didn't notice her out and about today, but it has rained on and off all day. I found her at bedtime. She was fine yesterday.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea. She was fine yesterday so far as I can tell. It has been really hot here (about 90), but because of the rain today it has been in the 70s.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Normally she eats 21% layer ration. When I brought her in the house this evening she would not take any food, nor has she had anything to drink. I don't know if this is because of her illness or because it is bedtime.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
When I flipped her over to see what was going on with her vent, there was some greenish/whitish runny poop around her vent.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I brought her in the house and isolated her. Thinking that perhaps she was egg bound, I let her soak in a warm bath for a bit while I felt around. She perked up a little and looked around and then settled in with her eyes closing. I could not feel anything different in her nether regions. I wrapped her in a towel and dried her a bit and then put her in the indoor cage. I tried offering her some bread soaked in oil (thinking perhaps it was an impacted crop) and also tried offering her some scrambled egg (in case she needed food). She hasn't eaten either one. I tried dribbling a little Polyvisol in her beak to give her a little boost. She got a few drops, but was pretty unmotivated about it.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
There are no vets around here that treat chickens, so it is all up to me.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
She looks fine other than being really droopy. It is bedtime so I am sure that is adding to the lethargy.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
She is normally in an outdoor coop with pine shavings. She has been in that coop for two years with no problems. Nothing in her world has changed recently.

I massaged around while she was soaking. Her nether regions seem normal. Her crop felt like it might have a marble size knot in it, but I could be off. Her feathers are really fluffed out. I am not sure what it could be other than egg bound or impacted crop, but nothing is really presenting.

Sorry you didn't get an answer. I don't know what the problem with her is, either.

If you have never wormed your chickens, though, I would try worming with Valbazen. And how about mites/lice, did you check for them?

Pooh died early this morning.
sad.png

Thanks for the help though.

Back
Top Bottom