Lethargic/Falling over chick FADING FAST, please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TeePants, Oct 6, 2011.

1. TeePants

TeePants Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    We just moved our silkies outside, and today one of them started falling over and is acting very lethargic. He also feels extremely light- which is odd considering I handled them both yesterday.

He can't seem to stand on one of his legs. Is this Marek's? I was told Marek's wasn't a problem in our area. Is there something else that could be wrong with him?

He's about 2 months old, btw. We had them outside in a tractor yesterday and they did good but I noticed him flopped over in his coop this afternoon.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    How's his poop look? Any chance of cocci?

3. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Possibly, but it happened so fast... I came home with Corid and found him laying on his back. [​IMG] His head is lolling around and his eyes are closed. I think he's a goner. Should I still try to dose him?

4. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Also, I got the 9.6 % liquid Corid, how much should I give him? It only has dosing info for cattle.

Edit:

Actually, I'm not sure if this is cocci anymore. The other chick is completely fine, and has normal looking poo. There's a poo from where the other chick was laying in the coop that looks much redder, but isn't runny. Otherwise there's hardly any poo to be seen. The other chick is eating normally and has a full crop.

We saw a black widow near their tractor yesterday and tried to kill it but it got away. Could he have gotten bitten? His leg looked like it was cramping up this morning, which would be typical of a black widow bite I think.

I really think he's not going to make it...he's basically 'circling the drain' right now if you will...

Should I treat the remaining chick (his feces is normal) for cocci, or do you think this is something else (spider bite)? Like, he was sitting but alert at 1pm this afternoon. I came home with meds at 6:30 (I had an interview then had to drive all over town to find Corid) and he was laying on his back, and his head was twitching.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    UPDATE

We watched some videos of coccidia and it looks just like it- with the chick falling over, etc. We dosed the sick one and he kicked me and flipped out so I think he's doing a little better than I thought. We brought him indoors so he could rest, the other chick seems a little droopy so we dosed him with Corid too.

6. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    [​IMG]

7. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:hope they get better!

8. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Me too! Just glad our feed store had the $20 bottle of corid so I didn't have to get the $100 bottle. |D If they make it through the 5-day doseage I'm going to bleach the crap out of their coop. I also got new feeder/waterers because they kept finding creative and new ways to poop in their old ones. [​IMG] I guess it's too late to make a difference now...

Thanks for the well wishes though. I wish they understood that POOPING in their CHICK FEEDER is counterproductive! I've dumped out more food than they've eaten since I got them, and the still got sick.

9. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Just an update, s/he is still alive, but still doing poorly. Been giving him some water with Sav-a-chick in it periodically with a syringe. Other chick is still fine thankfully.

I had to burrito him in a towel because he keeps kicking himself over and laying on his back, and I assume in this position it's harder to breathe? He kicks himself out of the blanket despite my efforts though, is he too warm? His body is warm but his feet feel cold. [​IMG]

10. TeePants

Aug 11, 2011
    Unfortunately, it looks like he passed away as of a few minutes ago.

We're pretty sure it's cocci but the other chick's droppings still look normal- we're going to continue to do the 5-day doseage of Corvid just to be safe, and I suppose I will hose out and clorox his things just to be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by