Lethargic, fat chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyfitz100, Jul 31, 2013.

1. amyfitz100

amyfitz100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    We have been fighting pasty butt with one of our chicks and don't seem to be having a lot of success. Yesterday morning she looked much fatter than the others and her feathers in back look kind of wet. Now she keeps going off in the corner and sleeping. Is there anything I can do for her? We have never had chicks before, and the other four seem fine. We think she and two others are four weeks old, and the other two are three weeks. Please help!

2. KrazyChromatics

KrazyChromatics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Northern NY
    sounds like it ate shavings and has a blockage, when u palpate its tummy can you feel anything other than squishy belly? if you feel edges or flat spots, its likely wood shavings...

3. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    Has kind of a squishy belly, like another I compared her to, but she also has white poo, I guess, all over her bottom. I've just seen some of the other chicks peck at her. I guess I should try warm water again to clean her off.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is she? Are her wet feathers near her naval? Are you turning the brooder temperature down weekly? Sometimes pasty butt is a symptom of dehydration from too hot of temperature, not drinking enough, or stress during shipping. Put a dab of apple cider vinegar in their water (1 TB per gallon) and give her a bit of plain yogurt in her food. Sometimes a dab of molasses or dark Karo syrup can act as a laxative. Wet feathers near the naval can be a sign of staph infection from the incubator or hatchery. Okay I see she is 4 weeks old, so probably not a staph infection. You might also consider treating for coccidiosis with Corid. Many times when they are lethargic at this age it is cocci. They can sometimes have it without blood in the droppings depending on the strain.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  5. amyfitz100

Jul 10, 2013
    South Carolina
    We lost the chicken last night -- thanks for the ideas/support, though. We cleaned the coop really well, and the feeder and the waterer since we don't exactly know what was wrong. My daughter (who bought the chicks) is sad, but has a good attitude -- this chicken was by himself a lot, so I guess he had problems from the beginning. Fortunately the other four look great. Even the other one that had pasty butt and recovered. Glad to have this forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by