lethargic, feathers puffed out, not laying, but still pooping

chieflarsen

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 14, 2012
We have a small flock of eight with longhorns, barred rock and ameracaunas which were all hatched in June 2013. All have been very healthy and champion layers for the last couple of months (5-6 eggs daily with a 29 Watt bulb on a timer).

A couple of days ago, one of our ameracaunas never left the roost in the coop. We set up a quarantine area in the coop, separated by metal wire so she's separate, but still in the same space as the rest of the flock. We placed a heat lamp a couple of feet above the roost and read that we ought to put some apple cider vinegar in her water, which we've done in her own glass bowl. She continues to remain on the roost. She is pooping. I've picked her up and felt all along her underside and she doesn't appear to be in pain or "eggbound", from what I've read.

We're newbies at this and are wondering if this is something we should be concerned about or if it's something more like broodiness.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Give her an over all exam. Check her legs and feet pads for injuries. What color is her comb? Is she molting? Check her skin around her neck and vent...Is it red or irritated looking? Do you see any bugs or signs of bugs? What does her poop look like...consistancy and color, white caps? Does she appear to have any respiratory issues...sneezing, runny nose, rattles when she breathes? Watery eyes or swollen face? Press around the outside of the vent to feel for an egg that might be right there. Feel her crop...is it soft and squishy or hard like a rock, or empty? Anything else?

If she were broody, she would most likely be sitting in the nest box and growl at you when you tried to move her.

It would help if you could give more details. :)

Last edited:
We have a small flock of eight with longhorns, barred rock and ameracaunas which were all hatched in June 2013. All have been very healthy and champion layers for the last couple of months (5-6 eggs daily with a 29 Watt bulb on a timer).

A couple of days ago, one of our ameracaunas never left the roost in the coop. We set up a quarantine area in the coop, separated by metal wire so she's separate, but still in the same space as the rest of the flock. We placed a heat lamp a couple of feet above the roost and read that we ought to put some apple cider vinegar in her water, which we've done in her own glass bowl. She continues to remain on the roost. She is pooping. I've picked her up and felt all along her underside and she doesn't appear to be in pain or "eggbound", from what I've read.

We're newbies at this and are wondering if this is something we should be concerned about or if it's something more like broodiness.

I'm newer to chickens myself, so I am by no means an expert. I lost one of my girls (hatched last April) to coccidious. If you search about it in BYC, it will go over symptoms, etc. I treated my flock with Corid (water soluble) in their water for 7 days. You cannot eat the eggs during this time period and for a short period after.
Good luck! I hope this provides a quick starting point. Also, please note that "bloody stooles" are not always present with coccidious.

Last edited:

Do her droppings look normal? Has she been dewormed? Check her for lice and mites, too, as they can sap the energy of a bird and make it not feel well.

Thanks for all the replies, and helpful tips. After reading the responses I was able to give her a more thorough exam (she was surprisingly compliant as I held her in my arms while on her back). After looking at her legs and feet, checking her vent, her crop and her poop, the only physical sign she presented was watery eyes. We kept her isloated, under a heat lamp and she was willing to be hand fed (she hadn't left the roost in quite a while). We also continued to put apple cider vinegar in her water as had been previously suggested. She had no bugs or marks on her. After two days, she just seemed to perk right back up and on the third day we had her re-join the flock and she hasn't showed a symptom since. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but we're happy she's healthy again. I appreciate the BYC forum, thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies, and helpful tips. After reading the responses I was able to give her a more thorough exam (she was surprisingly compliant as I held her in my arms while on her back). After looking at her legs and feet, checking her vent, her crop and her poop, the only physical sign she presented was watery eyes. We kept her isloated, under a heat lamp and she was willing to be hand fed (she hadn't left the roost in quite a while). We also continued to put apple cider vinegar in her water as had been previously suggested. She had no bugs or marks on her. After two days, she just seemed to perk right back up and on the third day we had her re-join the flock and she hasn't showed a symptom since. I'm still not sure what the problem was, but we're happy she's healthy again. I appreciate the BYC forum, thanks again.
woot.gif
Great news! I'm glad to hear that she's doing better.

Back
Top Bottom