Lethargic for 2 days/diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krayfish57, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Krayfish57

Krayfish57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

My Golden comet has been lethargic and just standing outside the coop for 2 days. She also has diarrhea. I put her in a dog kennel and brought her in the house last night because it was 27 degrees outside. She is avoiding the other chickens and they are avoiding her. From what I've read, it sounds like it could be coccidiosis. Should I isolate her? They have a huge run fenced in with electric poultry netting around the coop. The other 8 so far are not sick. How do you get a definitive diagnosis? Does it ever go away on its own or do they die from it? Where do you buy Corid?
    Many thanks in advance!

2. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    She may have just eaten something that doesn't agree with her. For the diarrhea try mixing her food with warm water. Better water absorption= healthy poo. Perhaps ACV w/mother in her water too. Hope she gets better.

3. chickenboy100

chickenboy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Southwest PA
    It would be a very good idea to isolate her to make sure it's not just something she ate.

4. chickenboy100

chickenboy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    Southwest PA
    (That's my two cents)

1 person likes this.
  5. Krayfish57

Krayfish57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2013
    What is ACV?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can buy Corid at Tractor Supply, it's in the cattle section and ACV is apple cider vinegar. Can you post some poop pictures?

-Kathy

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    It could be coccidiosous, or it could be enteritis.The symptoms of cocidiosos are listlessness, head sunk into neck, white diarrhea with possible blood in droppings. The symptoms of enteritis are brown diarrhea, and poor feathering. Could you tell me more about her illness? It is probably cocidiosos.

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    It could also be worms...

-Kathy

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Usually grown chickens have built up resistance to cocci on your property by 20 weeks, but if you have brought in a new bird, she is new, or someone tracked in a new strain (there are 9 of them), she may have coccidiosis. Corid or amprollium 1 tsp powder or 2 tespoons liquid Corid in 1 gallon water for 5 days. You can also use DiMethox or Sulmet. Treat all of the chickens at the same time so you won't have them getting sick. After you finish with Corid, give them a little yogurt and some vitamins to help their gut bacteria. Worming may help.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by