Lethargic hen, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by peeps7, Nov 6, 2007.

1. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I went out to the coop and my Br was just sitting there and didn't move when I fed everybody!!!! I picked her up and set her down but she won't stand AND I dipped her beak in water and she didn't even shake the water off or anything!!! HELP!!
    *edited title to be more informative*

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2007
  2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    is she laying her first egg?

3. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    No or she would've made some noise, she didn't do anything when I picked her up.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Take her to a warm place and see if you can't heat her back up to life. Is she cold, could she have gotten into bad food? Got into poison? Lose any weight? Any wounds? Attacked maybe? Egg bound?

Or... sometimes they just die.... Hope she makes it though.

5. peeps7

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    I'm pretty sure she is going to die, I put her in a little box with hay where she'll be comfy.

6. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    Sorry i couldnt help.[​IMG]

7. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope she perks up, its horrible when we feel so helpless, Dlunicorn always scans the emergencies and helps everyone, so I would say that she will come to your aid soon!!
    good luck
    hugs

8. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Just keep an eye on her. She might be going broody. Keep her warm and separated and make sure she has water and feed nearby. Do NOT add any medications or any vitamin additives to her water, unless you know what is going on. V&E won't hurt however, it is the only thing you need to give her right now additive wise.

Keep us posted.
    You might try answering the qustions in the top sticky so we have more info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by