Lethargic Hen....any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by busymama11, Jun 1, 2010.

1. busymama11

busymama11 New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    I will give you the info I have...I haven't personally been out to see her this AM b/c i'm suffering from morning sickness and a migraine, but my mother in law has. I'll be on my way out to see her in a minute.
    Rhode Island Red hen a little over a year old, has only been laying eggs for about 2-3 months. This morning my mother in law found her "sitting" out in the coop yard in a corner by herself. She's normally happy to see us and comes up to the fence for us to put greens in the pen (we pick grass and such and put in the coop as we don't let them free range due to hawks being bad). She stood up but wouldn't walk around like normal. we have 2 hens and 6 2 month old chicks in the same pen. yesterday she did not lay, but we did find an egg with just a membrane laying on the ground outside the coop. She did take a couple of sips of water but went back to being very lethargic. I'm on my way out there in a few minutes. we normally feed her a mix of laying pellets, mixed scratch grain and table scraps such as apple cores, potato peels and yesterday some watermelon rinds got thrown out there as well. they get fresh water daily. Should I use any precautions considering i'm pregnant? thanks for your help, also if you ask me to check something, please be specific as to what it is and where it is located, these are my first chickens and I'm not familiar yet with all the terms.

2. busymama11

busymama11 New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    Ok, so i went out to check her and took some feed with me. She has no interest in eating at all. she pooped while i was down there and it was runny-ish....very runny white stuff with a really wet but solid black/brown clump. no discoloration of comb or droopy wings. she will not let me touch her to examine her, but honestly i'm hesitant to do it as i'm pregnant. maybe i can get someone else to chase her down. she did walk around a bit scratching her beak on the ground and a big rock we have in there. after a few steps she just picked a corner and laid down again...when i say lay down, she's sitting like she would be sitting on her nest while she's laying.

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm pregnant, too. Touching the hen isn't going to hurt you, just wash your hands when you get back to the house, just like you'd do if you weren't pregnant. Just have someone else clean the coop while you're pregnant because chicken poop can carry toxoplasmosis, too.

It doesn't sound like she's broody. It's never a good sign when one of my chickens act like that. Run a search on "internal laying" and see if any of her symptoms match those.

You may want to try offering her some of her favorite foods: scrambled eggs, yogurt, cooked oatmeal, etc. to see if you can tempt her to eat. Some vitamins in the water might help. Consider treating for lice/mites and/or worms, just incase that's making her feel run down.

I hope she feels better!

4. busymama11

busymama11 New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    ok, i searched for internal layer and didn't find much info. do you think it could be that or eggbound? still no egg from either hen this morning, very odd. they each lay one egg each day early in the morning. she is still lethargic and her poo has gotten much runnier. i'm really at a loss. a vet isn't an option right now as the $$ just isn't there. is there anything I can do for her or is it a watch and see issue? she's very still and very quiet, not making any noise--just prefers to sit there and be left alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by