1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic hen, comb color off, not eating much

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kcplantgirl, Dec 23, 2014.

1. kcplantgirl

kcplantgirl New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    North Kansas City, MO
    Hi everyone, this morning I noticed one of my Rhode Island Reds (9 months old) sitting in the coop for awhile, which is unusual. The rest of the day she has been very lethargic, walking slowly, not pecking and scratching much. She will drink some water. I've isolated her in a cage, given her water with electrolytes (which she is drinking a little). Tried to feed her a mix of scrambled eggs and yoghurt and oatmeal, but she barely touched it. Her poop is grassy looking - both in color and texture. Her comb seems to have a bit of an orangish tint to it as well, not the usual red. I'm new to chicken raising so nervous about her, not sure what to do! Only have three hens, so would hate to loose her! Have done lots of reading, but can't seem to figure out what might be wrong... does anyone have some advice?? Thanks!

2. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Not sure what she could have, but you did take all the right steps as far as caring for her. Just make sure she's comfortable and make sure the other hens aren't showing any of the same symptoms.

3. kcplantgirl

kcplantgirl New Egg

Feb 26, 2014
    North Kansas City, MO
    Thanks ChickenLover172!

4. ChickenLover172

ChickenLover172 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2014
    North Carolina
    Glad I could help:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by