Lethargic hen died yesterday. What caused it?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Moochie, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    She was only 2 years old. She was going through her moult and then I noticed she was behaving strangely. She wasn't eating, not sure about drinking, she was very light, not socializing with the other chickens, the other chickens didn't want to be near her, very little poop, just a few dark green drops, stumbly (whenever I picked her up and put her back down she would stumble), head down, tail down, face, comb, and wattles very pale, eyes watery/bubbly, and not laying. I knows hens don't normally lay when they moult.
    The other hens going through a moult aren't lethargic like she was. Anyways when I found her in the morning, I found her in the very place I put her where she normally likes to sleep, stiff as a rock. Maybe from the cold.
    Anyone have a clue? Whatever caused it, is it contagious to my other birds?

2. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    the eye bubbles would concern me, watch them all carefully for signs of bubbly eyes and nasal discharge for this can be a sign of upper respiratory disease which is contagious. [​IMG] sorry about your hen

3. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    I recommend sending her body for a necropsy. Where I live the state does it for free. It would be the most useful in finding out what is going in your flock. Sorry about your girl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by