Lethargic Hen & Green/Clear Runny Poo. She's Getting Worse. Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by louisianachkn3, Jul 1, 2016.

1. louisianachkn3

louisianachkn3 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    NW Louisiana
    So this all started (well from when I first noticed it) 2 days ago. I have a Barred Rock hen a little over 15 weeks old. She started keeping 1 eye closed & staying away from the rest of the flock. She acted like she was tired & did not want to exert any energy. She was still getting in and out of the coop fine, but just seemed like she just wasn't feeling all that great. We live in Louisiana & our temps recently have been 95 degrees +/- a few lately. We took her away from the other girls yesterday and I had to force syringe her water & she ate a small tomato and some boiled egg. But that was it. All she wants to do now is close both eyes and lay down. No eating. No drinking. Her poop does not seem right either. No sneezing. No drainage. No swelling. Her feathers seem a little puffed up and her chirp just sounds blah. Not perky at all. Please help! Don't know if its viral or something I should treat with antibiotics. All other hens & a roo are doing great! I attached some pics to try to help diagnose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might have coccidiosis or just be dehydrated. You can have a few droppings checked by the vet for cocci and worms, or you could get Corid, and treat them all for coccidiosis in the water. Until you get Corid or decide what to do, I would force her to drink fluids with electrolytes by holding the water up to her beak with a spoon or feed with a dropper. Tube feeding is also something to try, and you can get a lot of fluid into her quickly. Look for the thread "Go team tube feeding" in a search at the top of this page or Google it. Symptoms of cocci are lethargy, weakness, hunched or puffed up posture, runny poops or blood in droppings, and not eating.

1 person likes this.
  3. louisianachkn3

Apr 15, 2016
    NW Louisiana
    Thanks! I was actually feeding my daughter and then heading to the store to buy Corid this morning. Gave her water with electrolytes this morning through a syringe and going to wet down some food and try to get that in her mouth before I leave. Hoping she pulls through! I'm assuming I should dose the other hens water with Corid as a precaution?

4. mcgeehanclan

mcgeehanclan New Egg

Mar 13, 2016
    One of mine in PA is acting the same way this morning. New to this so not sure what's up?

5. louisianachkn3

Apr 15, 2016
    NW Louisiana
    Update: I have Corid on standby but I've been forcing Nutra dense (sp. ?) and fluids in to her over the past 24 hours. I just went out and decided since she hasn't ate or drank anything since yesterday that I better start a round of Corid just in case to try and save my hen. I got about 0.2ml of Corid in her when she decided to fight the fact I was trying to help her and started eating her feed! [​IMG]We will see how she is doing in the morning and I will keep pushing fluids until I see her actually drink. She's always been one to not want to be held. So that was a plus when she did that this evening. Her poo is few and far between still and is a bright/dark green liquid/small form like consistency. So I'm leaning more towards dehydration still at the moment. Fingers crossed. [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Hopefully, she will start drinking. Yes, Corid would be safe for the other pullets as well. Keep us posted.

7. louisianachkn3

Apr 15, 2016
    NW Louisiana
    She did eat some more & actually drank a few sips out of the waterer this morning. I still dosed her with some heavy duty electrolytes and she ate some tomato. Still weak, but it's progress. Holding off on the Corid since she seems to be improving for now.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A good concoction I make for a sick chicken is a raw egg, some plain yogurt or sour cream, some chicken feed, and water, whipped into a easily eaten mixture. Electrolyte water can also be used. The same mixture without the chicken feed and water, mixed with some bread crumbs works too.

9. louisianachkn3

Apr 15, 2016
    NW Louisiana
    Well, unfortunately we had to put our hen down today. She stopped eating and drinking again and started getting really weak very quickly. The rest of our flock is still thriving. At least she won't suffer & the rest of the flock will not get what she developed. Thanks for all the help!

10. poppycock1974

poppycock1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2015
    Jacksonville FL
    I have the same problem with my 17 week old barred rock. One eye closes, very little poo but it's very runny and she gobbled up sunflower seeds but just pecked a little at her food. Haven't seen her drink. They have water, plenty of shade and a mister on since it's very hot but I don't know what's going on. The other 3 are fine. I have Corid but not sure if I should use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by