Lethargic hen near to death!!!

XxcremexX

Hatching
5 Years
May 25, 2014
Hi this is my first time using this website and I hope you can help me! Ok let me start from the begining my hen she is about 2 years old and has never had any problems like this started to look lethargic yesterday. I noticed she had yellowish maybe white diarrhea. She would just stand in place and close her eyes I started to get worried and got her some antibiotics. I then later noticed that her vent area was very swollen. Forgot to mention, we have sort of a pecking problem with our hens and she had been pecked around that area it also looked yellowish and pink and swollen so I put on some blu kote to see if it helped. Looks like it didn't this morning I noticed that she had gotten worse and she looked very weak and she would just lay there. She refuses to eat and I've had to be forcing her to eat! I can't afford a vet right now and I'm hoping you can help me thanks for your time! P.s sorry for my grammar/punctuation I'm kinda in a hurry here:/

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Welcome to BYC. She could possibly have egg yolk peritonitis. Yellow diarrhea can be from possible E.coli infection, but it would be hard to know without a vet to do a fecal test. Vent pecking can be one of many causes of internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis. If you could just take a stool sample in to be checked, the vet could look for bacteria, worms, or coccidia which are all things that might lead to a diagnosis. This might only cost the price of a stool sample fecal test.

Top Bottom