Lethargic hen, need help.

YamYam

Chirping
May 8, 2021
South FL
Recently, one of my chickens has been lethargic, stopped laying eggs, and pooping green. For context, I have a ~3 year old Delaware who has been acting slightly lethargic for about two weeks now, but I didn't think much of it. The first time, I gave some vitamin water to her and she perked up.
A few days ago I found her standing in a nesting box (looking uncomfortable) and because it was hot I decided to just give her some water to drink, which she did (and a lot!). The next morning she came out an hour or more later than the other hens and found a roost to stand on again. I took her inside again, she pooped a white liquid-y poop with a small chunk of brown poop as well. I tried to give her an Epsom salt bath but she was not having it! (so I opted for some Gatorade instead which she loved.)
Yesterday morning, I checked her over (crop, vent, feathers) and all seems good except for her dirty vent, but the poop was solid and had a lot more brown in it.
Today though, I found light (almost mint colored) watery poop in the coop which I think belongs to her. She still runs to me when I call over and walks around the yard, but she is definitely weaker than the other hens (Some have diarrhea during the day but that is about it).
Advice would be appreciated as I do not have an available vet...

They were recently wormed for roundworms and none of the other chickens are pooping oddly (green or foamy yellow), it is quite hot right now so they are drinking more water though.

Last edited:
They were recently wormed for roundworms and none of the other chickens are pooping oddly (green or foamy yellow), it is quite hot right now so they are drinking more water though.
How is your hen doing mine is acting like her, standing on top of her box she used to be broody the day before but no longer acts like that, not eating anything that is offered to her, I also dewormed them two weeks ago and the temp is at 72 Fahrenheit

She is doing better, surprisingly. I'm not exactly sure what happened, but in case it helps, the only thing I did massage her crop and underbelly a few times a day, and made sure she got some electrolytes in her water. I hope your hen will feel better!

Back
Top Bottom