lethargic hen, no poopy rear.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KellyB1, Sep 16, 2010.

1. KellyB1

KellyB1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Hello,
    My favorite hen "Mrs. Puff" is not doing well today. Let me tell you that she is a "special" chicken because she is blind. She is about a year old and lays one green egg almost every day. She is an aracona. Her vent feathers are not very poopy; only a trace of poop there. There is no bloody poos in the coop or in the run. The other hen is really healthy. I picked her up and checked her out and the underside doesn't seem swollen. I first thought that she may be egg bound. I lost a hen earlier this year because of that. I am hesitant to give her a warm bath, since it is 106+ in Phoenix outside today!. I do have a water mister on.

The way she carries herself is unusual. She seems to be tucking her tail under as she walks and it seems to be tucked all the time.. She is laying down a lot and this morning didn't get up very early.

Breathing seems OK, and she is not really abnormally puffy, although she tends to be puffy compared to the other hens ( hence the name!) I should mention that they live in a chicken tractor coop with a run. I do not let them run unsupervised because of the coyotes that live in the neighborhood. ( my flock got annihilated in a week last year by the coyotes! [​IMG] ).

She was fine yesterday. We are having a heat wave, could these symptoms be a result of that?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by