lethargic hen not eating, has green runny poop, laying weird eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by camella, Mar 9, 2011.

1. camella

camella New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    hi everyone,

i have a hen who's about 2 or 3 years old who has been looking steadily scrawnier lately but behaving normally until two days ago, when she confined herself to the nest box in the coop, only venturing out for food occasionally. Today I wormed her with Wazine and checked her for evidence of parasites. I didn't see any, but I dusted all 4 of my hens and coop with food-grade DE. Her poop is very runny and green and white. I understand the green can mean that she is absolutely starving. I rinsed her vent this morning, which, other than being surrounded by feces-encrusted feathers, looks normal (no prolapse). I can't say for sure, but there does seem to be some white discharge oozing out of her vent. I separated her in a clean cage with fresh hay in a warm place, and offered her scrambled eggs, grapes, and pellets with some probiotics sprinkled on top, but she hasn't touched her food. I gave her some water in an eye-dropper. A little while ago I picked her up to check her crop, and found that she was sitting on this completely odd-looking soft-shelled warty egg-thing. She seems very tired and only wants to sleep. I plan to try giving her some yogurt in a little while.

I've been looking up all of these symptoms all morning, but they don't seem to point to the same thing. I'm hoping to treat this myself if possible. Thank you for your help and suggestions!

camella

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    See if her crop is full in the morning. If it is, it may be impacted, and she's not getting any food.

3. camella

camella New Egg

Apr 15, 2009
    Her crop is empty, and it's mid-afternoon. I went ahead and did a treatment for impacted crop, giving her a syringe of olive oil followed by upward-motion crop massage. She really enjoyed it, but I don't feel much in her crop. She is standing occasionally and trying to get at her vent with her beak.

4. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    I have read alot about that. From what I understand it can be an infection. There is certain layered consistency to it if it is an infection I think. Cynthia is the one who I believe explained this on a recent post. You may want to do a search for it. THere is a photo with the post so you could compare. HTH. -- Carolyn

5. douina

douina New Egg

Jun 25, 2010
    camella I too have a hen that just the other day displayed the same symptems that you have said. we have her in her own house for now and waiting to see if she recovers.. it's been two days so far. i guess we just wait and see.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mine is doing the exact same thing--and has a broken leg. I don't think the 2 are related. She laid a soft shell egg last night. She's alert and bright, it's been 5 days now.

Poop:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by