Lethargic hen not eating or walking

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AmoPullam, Mar 20, 2015.

1. AmoPullam

AmoPullam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Hi all,

I have a hen(named Princess) who is very lethargic, not moving around very much, has very watery/mucus consistency manure, and is not eating anything. She is 4-ish year old Golden Comet and has never had this problem before. It probably started about a week ago. She stopped eating a couple days ago. I have been handfeeding her "people food" but she wont even eat that very much. She is still drinking water though. She is getting very thin and today I noticed that the area between her legs seemed large in comparison to my other 5 hens. I dont know if this is just because the rest of her is really skinny. It is not hard or anything, just large. I gave her a baby aspirin two days ago, but other then that I havn'et medicated her at all. If anyone could help tell me what I need to do, I would be really grateful.

Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Could she be eggbound? Is she still laying? Could she be an internal layer?

3. AmoPullam

AmoPullam Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Oh no! She could be an internal layer. She finished with her molt several weeks ago and hasn't laid since. She is a high production breed, and older for a layer. Her abdomen is larger than normal, and I think she has lost weight. She has always been a skinny bird though. If she is an internal Layer, is she in pain? Can I do anything to know for sure. It isn't curable, is it. Is there any chance that she isn't an internal layer? What is the difference between earthbound and an internal layer?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not earthbound, eggbound. Eggbound just means an egg is stuck -- usually an unusually large egg. You can insert a lubricated finger just a little way up her vent and feel it, if it is low enough. Soak her in a warm sink of water for a while to see if she will relax and let it out. if not, confine her in a darkened space by herself. I'll give you a link for a writeup on eggbound chickens.

No, unfortunately, internal laying (also called egg peritonitis) isn't curable, and eventually kills the bird. Sometimes you can make them more comfortable, hopefully, by draining ecesss abdominal fluid. I'll give you some links on that, too.

There are certainly other things that could be wrong with her as well. Often even an avian vet can't be sure.

I hope she gets well!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/856735/egg-bound-chicken#post_12864399

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/762242/update-advice-needed-eggbound-prolapsed-hen

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/526089/egg-yolk-peritonitis

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by