Lethargic hen - not egg bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SycolinWoodsChickens, Nov 9, 2010.

1. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm new to chicken keeping and all my chickens are 30 weeks old. Most have been laying for the last month. For the last few days I 've noticed one of my Speckled Sussex seems a little sleepy and slow. Today when they were free ranging she was standing under a bush with her eyes closed and head drooped down. Then she looked like she was trying to lay - you know the egg trance look - then just back to sleepy. I kept an eye on her and she perked back up but stayed away from everyone else.

It almost looked like she was trying to lay and couldn't. So I've taken her in the house and as far as I can tell she is not egg bound. I don't see or feel an egg. I tried putting a warm washcloth on her vent and for a while I could see her tail moving but that has stopped and still no egg.

If I offer her food she eats but she is kind of falling asleep standing in her cage.

No eye discharge, or sneezing, no runny poo as far as I can tell (that's one reason why I took her in the house was to see if she had any poo issues).

Any ideas?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Is her vent pulsating too? You can try a long warm bath and dribble some water mixed with a little plain aspirin and calcium on the side of her beak while she soaks, use a little olive oil and feel up inside her vent for an egg. The little bit of aspirin will reduce inflammation and oiling up her vent real good can help move the egg along if there is one in there. Put her on a towl afterward in a small crate or something and leave her near a small space heater to keep warm until she dries off (I close mine up in the bathroom so I don't have to heat the whole house). The calcium is also supposed to help her ability to lay. Maybe a little beef/liver cat food for the protein. Has this one any worms or external parasites?

3. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    After I applied the warm washcloth her vent was pulsating. But when I checked her before we went to bed last night it wasn't. With 20 hens laying I'm not sure the last time she laid an egg.

So I'm guessing there is still a possiblility that she is eggbound?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by