Lethargic hen, one eye closed.

horsefeathers09

Songster
14 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
My 3 y/o hen has one eye closed (no injury noted)and is lethargic. She is in her nest most of the afternoon and not much interested in feed. I'm not sure what to do for her and thought maybe an antibiotic was in order. Is this something I can buy at a feed store, what kind? I'm bringing her into the garage where I have an enclosure that will make it easier to care for her. It is not cold here, about 80 day and 50's at night, so there isn't much worry that she will be cold in there alone. Thanks for any advice, amy

Isolating her is the 1st step which you did. Is her eye crusty and closed shut, swollen really bad, does it smell bad?

She may have an injury, infection, or both. Try to gently pry her eye open to see how it looks. Offer her some scrambled eggs to see if she's interested in eating. Pics of the eye would help.

Good luck

Hello, thanks for your reply... NO injury to eye, she opened it when I moved her to isolation and it was healthy and clear. She is resting quietly in a nest box, but obviously not herself, completely unconcerned about being in a new place and confined. Is there a broad spectrum antibiotic I can get her? amy

Back
Top Bottom