Lethargic hen, open mouth breathing, her whole body moves when she breaths

It wouldn't be something like necrotic enteritis then, that scars the digestive tract and the lose weight very quickly.

When you say large, do you mean overall body size, or us she heavier than the other girls? One thing that comes to mind is acites - water belly. If her abdomen is big/dense, it could be that. They can fill up with water to the point that it starts pressing on their organs and making it difficult for them to breathe.

Do you have any rescue remedies on hand? Polyaid or similar?

You may want to isolate her in a temp-controlled environment and monitor how much she's eating, how much she's drinking and what her poos are looking like - (color and consistency for both the whites and solids). Putting her down on an old towel with paper towels over top should allow you to get a good look at them.

If she's off her feed, try offering treats she's familiar with or some hard-boiled egg to see if she's interested.

Have you checked her crop? Empty in morning, full at night and usually has at least something in there throughout the day.

When you checked her abdomen, did she brace like she was being mounted?
Her body size isn’t much larger than the other girls but she’s way heavier than any of the other girls. I just left to go out of town for 3 days and don’t have polyaid. I have been taking pictures of her poop the last few days. She seems like she really wants to poop but only has little poops. They are little normal consist poops not watery. She’s eating well and drinking which is good. Her crop was full this morning after I gave her dewormer and a little scratch. Normally whenever I touch her or go by her she squats but has not for about a week.

Attachments

• FA8BB593-01D1-471F-9463-46CDDAD6BE17.jpeg
    FA8BB593-01D1-471F-9463-46CDDAD6BE17.jpeg
    897.1 KB · Views: 9
Since you say she's got a crop that may appear to be emptying slowly, she could have a lot of dead worms clogging her system. It might be useful to rule out an obstruction, which might also cause constipation and make pooping unproductive.

I suggest a molasses flush, simple and safe, and requires no special feeding or treatment. Just remove her from any regular water supply and give her one fourth cup of warm water with a teaspoon of molasses mixed in. She will drink it as it's pleasant tasting. Be sure she drinks it all before letting her go back to the flock.

This should gently stimulate her intestines to empty and hopefully any dead worms that may be causing an obstruction will be flushed out.

Since you say she's got a crop that may appear to be emptying slowly, she could have a lot of dead worms clogging her system. It might be useful to rule out an obstruction, which might also cause constipation and make pooping unproductive.

I suggest a molasses flush, simple and safe, and requires no special feeding or treatment. Just remove her from any regular water supply and give her one fourth cup of warm water with a teaspoon of molasses mixed in. She will drink it as it's pleasant tasting. Be sure she drinks it all before letting her go back to the flock.

This should gently stimulate her intestines to empty and hopefully any dead worms that may be causing an obstruction will be flushed out.
Thank you so much! I ordered molasses and it should be coming today or tomorrow.

I went to let my chickens out with the molasses for Willow and she passed away last night. She will be missed greatly. Thank you for all of your help with her.

I went to let my chickens out with the molasses for Willow and she passed away last night. She will be missed greatly. Thank you for all of your help with her.
Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m crying for you and Willow.😭 Don’t be upset, you did everything under the sun you possibly could have. Willow had the best possible life she could have with you. Distract yourself if you can, for the first week, that helped me when I lost my sweet little Liz, she seemed to be acting like Willow, and she had cancer. Willow will alway be with you, I like to look at my girls, and when they act a bit like Liz, i say hi Liz! It helped me a lot, and I’d you need someone to talk to you can always reach out to me. I am very sorry willow passed.:hugs

Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry to hear that. I’m crying for you and Willow.😭 Don’t be upset, you did everything under the sun you possibly could have. Willow had the best possible life she could have with you. Distract yourself if you can, for the first week, that helped me when I lost my sweet little Liz, she seemed to be acting like Willow, and she had cancer. Willow will alway be with you, I like to look at my girls, and when they act a bit like Liz, i say hi Liz! It helped me a lot, and I’d you need someone to talk to you can always reach out to me. I am very sorry willow passed.:hugs
Thank you so much! I couldn’t have saved my other two without you! It’s very sad especially because she was so young only about 9 months but chickens are so susceptible to disease. Thank you for being so supportive in hard times! She was an amazing hen and I hope her life even though short has been a good one! She will be missed greatly!

Attachments

• 859AF0EB-EA0C-4C27-84D0-30B3078F1867.jpeg
    859AF0EB-EA0C-4C27-84D0-30B3078F1867.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Thank you so much! I couldn’t have saved my other two without you! It’s very sad especially because she was so young only about 9 months but chickens are so susceptible to disease. Thank you for being so supportive in hard times! She was an amazing hen and I hope her life even though short has been a good one! She will be missed greatly!
My little girl was one year old. Could you tell me a little more about Willow? I think of my hen Willie whenever I say her name. Willow is so happy in heaven, where she isn’t sick, so don’t worry about her!

Back
Top Bottom