Lethargic hen, pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tlharv, Aug 7, 2010.

1. tlharv

tlharv Out Of The Brooder

This hen is 1 year old and is the lowest on the pecking order. She's lately become lethargic and doesn't come out of the roost -- in fact, she sleeps on the hay in the egg box all night. I noticed that her comb(s) are pale -- orange instead of the typical bright red like the other hens. Any idea what could be the problem? The other hens are acting fine. I don't notice the poop being any different than usual.

[​IMG]

2. tlharv

I'm guessing (have nothing to prove it) that she might have an egg stuck in her. What would I do for that?

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Try giving her a 15 + minute soak in a warm sink and lubing her up with vaseline. Dry her off really well (surprisingly many of them like the blow dryer on low) and put her in a dog crate or something similar with food and water so you can keep an eye on her and moniter her eating/drinking/pooping. Sometimes it takes several rounds soaking/lubing and unfortunately it doesn't always work, but that is all I know of to do. Best of luck.

4. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

is there any feather loss? have the feathers gone dull?could be a molt.

5. tlharv

I've separated her from the others, putting her in a place that's warm and dry. She's drinking water, and I'm not sure about food. Poop is green.

Feathers are on -- is this the time of year for molting?

Quote:"lubing her up" means exactly what?

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Apply vaseline around her vent and just inside it as well. It will soften the area as well as lube it and make it easier for her to pass the stuck egg. The warm soak is also to help soften and relax the muscles around her vent in the hopes that she'll be able to pass the egg.

7. tlharv

Update: I did the soak and lube last night. She doesn't seem any better today, but I think she enjoyed the soak. She is drinking water but not eating anything (even when offered worms out of the worm bin, which she typically loves).

At this point, I really don't know what else to do for her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by