Lethargic Hen. *Pics Graphic, I think*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cluckcluckluke, Dec 31, 2012.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

I have a Red Sex-link hens whose acting real lethargic, just the other day she was all noisey and running all over the place and just acting all round "normal", but to day and yesterday she's been lying down in the dust bathing spots not dust bathing just sitting or lying on her side like she would if she was dusting. I gave her some Potassium Permanganate in her water yesterday and today and the whole flock an she seemed to perk up, so i let her out of her cage and she popped out and ate some food with every one then just went and sat in the dust. She has just been a broody hens with a chick and only just let the chick go a week or so ago and started laying again, but has now lost all power.

I dont personally think these pictures are *Graphic* but I've been in trouble before so may as well just put a warning.
    [​IMG]Just want to know is this poo bad or is it perfectly normal, it has no worms so she doesn't have worms. Couldn't find the poo chart so need some help.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Just because their are no worms in the poop doesn't mean she doesn't have worms.

3. cluckcluckluke

Oh...Well this could be a problem, what kind of worms could she have then???

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
  5. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    My girls had the same kind of looking poop. Thought it was probably roundworms so I treated them with wazine and their stools like much more "normal" now.

6. HouseCat

HouseCat Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks to me like she may have passed an shell-less egg along with her poo. I would recommend giving her a teaspoon of chopped garlic for the next 5 days to see how that works. Did she perk up afterwards?
    If you still think it may be worms, I would try a Moxidectin wormer like Quest (marketed for Horses). It's available in a single dose syringe that makes 8 gallons. Mix 1/2 the syringe with water in a blender and blend it up. Then add it to 4 gallons of water and leave out for 24 hours. Not only does it eliminate all internal intestinal worms, it eliminates gape worms and all external parasites. Pretty much everything except tapeworm. Quest Plus eliminates tapeworms as well but my chickens really don't like the taste.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Her poo looks way too yellow with a little green, so no, not normal. Probably has lost weight and is dehydrated. Can you weigh her?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  8. cluckcluckluke

I dont think i can way her but she seams no lighter than last week or so.

9. cluckcluckluke

She's more perky today, i will give her some wormer today just in case, does this mean i have to worm the whole flock because I just did that 1 month ago. But she missed out on it so maybe thats why she has worms.

10. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What did you worm with?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by