Lethargic Hen - sick?????

Pollo Posada

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
Mount Airy, MD
My chicken is not right today!!!!!!

Here are the details: I opened up my coop today at 7:00 a.m. Sometime thereafter one of my hens must have flown over the fence because I found her outside the fence around 8:30 a.m.

The issue is that it was raining pretty hard and was chilly (around 45 degrees) She was at the fence trying to get in instead of finding shelter.

Later on this afternoon I found her alone instead of roaming (I free range during the day) with the others. She seems lethargic. She is closing her eyes and pretty much is falling asleep standing up. I just picked her up and put her in an empty crate with straw. This sickness came out of nowhere!

Could she be tired from being in the rain? Sick? I never had a sick bird before... she seemed fine yesterday!

HELP!

Keep an eye on her. Isolate her and offer her some treats like yogurt, scrambled eggs and put sugar, gatorade or vitamins and electrolytes in her water. Keep her in a warm, dark crate indoors if poss.
Is she eggbound? Been dewormed?
What do her poops look like? Is she eating, drinking?
Any eye, nasal discharges?
Has she been laying normally?

She just started laying on April 1st. I've only had 2 eggs from her but none for a few days. Not sure about her poop since I free range. Right now is alone in a box. We'll have to see what happens.

I didn't see her eat since this morning but I did see her drink. I felt around her belly/butt for a stuck egg. I am not sure what to feel for exactly but nothing seemed out of sort.

She just keeps falling asleep and is not active which is not like her. There are no discharges of any kind and no sneezing. As for worming, I have never done it. I am not sure if the man that I got her from did either. Should I give that a try? Where can you buy de-wormer? We have a tractor supply and southern states here...

I only have strawberry yogurt here - would that work? All stores are now closed.

I will do the sugar in water right away. How much???

Just put a Tbsp or 2 depending on how big the waterer is. Strawberry should be fine til you can get plain. Have some all purpose dewormer on hand but wait and see what her poo looks like as it may be normal. I recommend just keeping an eye on her for right now and making sure that she is eating and drinking.

UPDATE: The chicken didn't eat anything from me. I put her in a crate and left her inside.. . but she was dead in the morning. I am not sure what happened. The only thing that I can think of was she got sick in the rain... Oh well. It is my first chicken death and it was my favorite hen...
sad.png

Awwww..... so sorry
sad.png

Unfortunately with birds high metabolism rates when things go wrong, they tend to go wrong in a hurry, and unfortunately in many cases once symtoms show it's often too late to do much about it. Not that you shouldn't try, but I don't want you to feel frustrated that your efforts didn't work or that you didn't do enough!

Back
Top Bottom