Lethargic hen, trying to diagnose

QCChewy

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2021
We have a 1 year old Rhode Island Red, who yesterday, we noticed was lethargic... still seems aware, wings up, hunched with tail down. We thought possibly sour crop yesterday, so we removed food and water.

Early yesterday, we removed her from the flock, before she ate, and we noticed a partially filled, squishy crop. Water was removed for 12 hrs, and we massaged her crop every few hours, until we went to bed last night. This morning, we reintroduced food and water, and she showed no interest.

She only wants to stand in her temporary nest, lined with straw. She doesn't now, nor has she since isolation, seem to be contracting, maybe very slight pulsing at her vent, and I cannot tell if I can feel an egg in her abdomen. No discharge, her poo was runny yesterday, she did poo 3 times overnight, and nothing in the few hours since we checked her this morning.

Did you insert a clean finger into her vent to feel for an egg or obstruction? Pictures of poops are welcome. When you saw her this morning, was her crop empty or still full and squishy?

Did you insert a clean finger into her vent to feel for an egg or obstruction? Pictures of poops are welcome. When you saw her this morning, was her crop empty or still full and squishy?
I did not, I was afraid with my in experience that I'd hurt her.

Her poo was watery, clear and white, some dark slightly more solid.

Crop was mostly empty, and less squishy.

Also, I did mottled up some feed, and mix with water. She took a few bites, and refused since. I left it in there with her, with clean water.

Back
Top Bottom