Lethargic hen with big crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The_Flock, Oct 23, 2019.

1. The_Flock

The_Flock Chirping

Aug 24, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi guys. I have a lady named Goldie and she's a bit lethargic and has a large crop. So there are a few things going on here that I know of. Let me start near the beginning.
    I adopted Goldie back in June or July sometime. I don't know how old she is and she's been debeaked. Well...sorta. Goldie has been through alot in the past 7 months. She went through 4 homes to come to me, where she will always stay. She was pretty lost when she came here and started to shut down. I loved her and gave her space while sending much love, added vitamins to her diet and dewormed her. She has always had loose poops. I attributed it to the stress because she was healthy otherwise. She's laid two eggs in the months that I've had her. One had a very thin shell and the other had a soft shell. I attribute this as well to the stress. I read that a stressed chicken can stop laying completely, which is fine with me. Then about a month ago she started molting and that's when things started going down hill a bit. I've been feeding her scrambled eggs, pumpkin and sesame seeds and other protein sources to supplement the molt. She has seemed to have become lethargic with this molt, which I read can happen.
    So now her crop is full. But it doesn't seem super hard. I'm not sure how to syringe a bird because I'm very aware of them aspirating. But if I must, I will with detailed instruction. I don't really smell anything bad coming from her. Can I feed her something that will help? Or give her something? Am I best to do the treatment for an impacted crop?
    I thank you guys so much for all your help. Happy chicken-ing. ❤

2. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    is she an ex-battery hen? sometimes they get problems associated to laying and just never recover and go downhill

The_Flock likes this.
  3. The_Flock

The_Flock Chirping

Aug 24, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I don't think she's a battery hen. I feel she's a hatchery bird. But one never knows.
    I just massaged her crop and there is a smell but it seems really soft in there. Can the crop go down just with a good massage?

4. silkiemother

silkiemother Songster

Sep 14, 2018
    east wenatchee
    It might, I have never really tried that

The_Flock likes this.
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She might have a slow to empty crop due to a reproductive disorder such as internal laying. They can go on to develop a sour crop. The soft puffy crop should not be massaged, which is different that an impacted hard crop, where massage and water and coconut oil may help to soften the impaction to help it move on through. Massage of a puffy soft crop may cause vomiting and choking.

I would get some coconut oil and get it cold in the refrigerator, then chop a teaspoonful into pieces and offer them to her once a day for a few days. Do not feed whole grains or scratch right now, but give soft mushy foods, such as cooked egg, wet chicken feed, a little plain yogurt or buttermilk for probiotics. If her crop becomes sour or foul smelling, monistat 7 or yeast infection cream can be given. Nystatin or canesoral may be used as well.

If she has internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, she may get sicker over time. But many hens have these problems without us knowing, and then it becomes apparent if they have impacted or sour crop. Here are a couple of good articles to read about crop disorders:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

hispoptart and The_Flock like this.
  6. The_Flock

The_Flock Chirping

Aug 24, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you very much. I'll give her the coconut oil and see how she does. I haven't been able to get her because she's pretty standoffish but I just grabbed her quickly now (because she's so tired and slow) and noticed she is SKINNY!!

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    They can become thin in no time when they are suffering from a crop disorder, and also if suffering from a reproductive disorder. The fluffy feathers can hide an emaciated chicken. Oviduct cancer is also another cause of weight loss, but internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites are also common. Unfortunately we usually do not find out until after they die when a necropsy can be done at home or by the state poultry vet. Some things may be obvious upon necropsy. Many take pictures and post them here on threads for help. Hopefully, your hen will improve so that you have her for some more time.

8. The_Flock

The_Flock Chirping

Aug 24, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you know how I give the monistat 7 cream? Like...mixed with water in a syringe or in her food? Or straight from my finger into her mouth?

9. The_Flock

The_Flock Chirping

Aug 24, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes I hope so too. ❤

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It should say how much and how to give the cream in the first short article. I would give it orally with a syringe into her beak a small bit at a time. Just reading it, it says to give 1/2 to 1 inch of the cream orally twice a day. Oops, that was 1/2 inch of the cream or 1/4 of a suppository.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: