Lethargic Hen with Cream colored diarrhea

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JAKs VC, Jul 29, 2017.

1. JAKs VC

JAKs VC Hatching

Jul 29, 2017
    Hi there.
    Just noticed my hen this evening was standing by herself looking rather lethargic. I checked her backside and saw that she has a cream colored, creamy consistency diarrhea. Her vent doesn't seem to be a problem. Her abdomen feels fluid filled. She is not one to normally let me handle her but tonight she isn't trying to get away. I moved her away from other hens and tried to give her yogurt, bread, water. She's refused all. I will give her water with a syringe but would appreciate any suggestions, asap, of course. She's a two yr old Americana. Thank you.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Fluid in the abdomen isn't a good sign. Many times it a sign of organ failure. Some people drain them, but I would give her a few days to see how she goes.

3. JAKs VC

JAKs VC Hatching

Jul 29, 2017
    Thanks for your reply. I'm worried that it could be ascites. I noticed also that I thought I heard abdominal sounds (not sure if that's what you call it in chickens). Trying to understand why the creamy diarrhea. Has anyone had this experience? Any suggestions for treatment? I'll be watching her closely!!

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Try feeding her boiled egg yolk or scrambled egg, have you tried wetting her feed? You could try some Nutri Drench, electrolytes & vitamins. I have not clue what's going on but hope someone will soon. What do you normally feed? Could she have gotten into something she shouldn't have? Keep close eye on the rest. Keep us informed how she's doing. Good luck

5. JAKs VC

JAKs VC Hatching

Jul 29, 2017
    I can't get any food in her, water with syringe. She is sitting today instead of standing like last night. it doesn't feel like fluid today, more full, like bloat. All the others are fine and she didn't have anything the others didn't have.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My guess is something internal. She probably won't make it unfortunately.

JAKs VC likes this.
  7. JAKs VC

JAKs VC Hatching

Jul 29, 2017
    Yeah, that's kind of what I'm expecting, however, I always try to do the most I can for my animals before putting them down. Was thinking I might try to drain her to see if that provides relief.

8. JAKs VC

JAKs VC Hatching

Jul 29, 2017
    Thanks for all your responses. When I went out to check on her she wasn't able to hold her head up, labored respirations. We went ahead and put her down. Sad day!

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry, that was the best choice.

JAKs VC likes this.
  10. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    :hitSorry to hear you had to do the hardest job in raising animals...Sorry for your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: