Lethargic hen with diarrhea:

Momoftres

Songster
Sep 18, 2020
I have a 28 week hen that is acting lethargic. Some mild gurgling sounds very intermittently. She will pack and eat couple of pellets and then go and lay back down. She has watery stool. I brought her inside and gave her some electrolytes I noticed a purpleish hue to the top of her comb. I have attached some pictures below. She was vaccinated for Mareks as a chick. My nine other hens are doing well. Any advice?

Attachments

• B6624CB8-3FA1-4B97-8297-E383BA7EA6E6.jpeg
    B6624CB8-3FA1-4B97-8297-E383BA7EA6E6.jpeg
    488.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 39E9D814-3A2B-4C7B-B364-445ABDCE48AB.jpeg
    39E9D814-3A2B-4C7B-B364-445ABDCE48AB.jpeg
    625.6 KB · Views: 3
Is she laying yet? If so when did she last lay an egg?
How full is her crop right now? Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.

Is she laying yet? If so when did she last lay an egg?
How full is her crop right now? Check her crop early in the morning before she eats or drinks anything and see if it emptied.
Yes, she is laying. I believe yesterday I got an egg from her. I think it could be a crop issue. I picked her up and a bunch of fluid came from her mouth and her crop feels soft and watery, but not tight like a water ballon. I can feel some small hard grit in the bottom but it is mainly fluid. I massaged it to see if that would help. She is only eating small bites. I did give her a corid drench to be on the safe side. She is passing watery clear with some brown and white stools, no visible blood.

Yes, she is laying. I believe yesterday I got an egg from her. I think it could be a crop issue. I picked her up and a bunch of fluid came from her mouth and her crop feels soft and watery, but not tight like a water ballon. I can feel some small hard grit in the bottom but it is mainly fluid. I massaged it to see if that would help. She is only eating small bites. I did give her a corid drench to be on the safe side. She is passing watery clear with some brown and white stools, no visible blood.
It sounds like she has sour crop, here's a good article.->
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom