1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic hen with droopy comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MadonnaLogue, Oct 29, 2015.

1. MadonnaLogue

MadonnaLogue New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    I have a 6 month old hen who has a droopy comb which I had noticed a few days ago. Today, I noticed that she was laying in her coop while the other five hens were running around the yard. It turned out she had a little bit of pasty butt, so I've soaked her in warm water, cleaned her up, and trimmed her butt feathers a little bit. Could the pasty butt cause her comb to droop? Or should I be concerned with further illness?

[​IMG]

2. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think it's a problem..I have a Golden Camp hen...when she was pullet her comb stood up as nice as could be...once she started to really lay her comb dropped like a set of long bangs and stayed that way..

3. MadonnaLogue

MadonnaLogue New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    She had a very hard time getting on the bottom roosting bar this evening and she seems very thin, her chest bone is very prominent.

4. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

How is she doing? I didn't realize she was getting skinny...poor girl...if she's the only one sick...maybe she ate something bad...has she recovered?

5. MadonnaLogue

MadonnaLogue New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    Unfortunately, she passed away the morning after I posted this. The vet couldn't figure out what was wrong. The other 5 chickens are all still doing fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by