Lethargic hen with goopy, poopy butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RachelJoy, Mar 17, 2012.

1. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    I have a 3 year old silver laced wyandotte who is not doing well. She hates to be handled, so I was surprised that she let me come right up and stroke her today. She's lying in the sun, I thought enjoying this beautiful day. Then I noticed her butt is incredibly poopy, and kind of oozing and dripping some gelatinous looking poop (a lovely description, I know). I picked her up and put her down on her feet and she kind of flopped down on her belly again.

She ate the oatmeal I had brought out as a treat, and she's drinking water (she's hanging out right next to a water bowl).

I don't even know what to look up to try to figure out what is wrong and what I should do. Any thoughts?

2. DawnCols

DawnCols Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Sorry to hear it.

I'm no expert in chickens, but I am a nurse and I did deal with a chicken with a poopy butt this winter. At first I noticed she seemed to be accumulating poop on her butt. When she started getting lethargic, I got worried so I gave her a bath. I used a big rubbermaid tub, filled it 2/3 full of warm water and I set her in there. After she soaked awhile, I used rubber gloves to check that the stuff had come off, took her out wrapped in a towel and dried her off, left her in a warm spot overnight. She obviously felt much better after and went back to her perky self.

It was middle of winter so I did all this indoors--but I'm guessing you could do it outdoors in the nice weather, so I'm not including all the details of how I dealt with doing this indoors.

The gelatinous-looking stuff doesn't sound good though. Makes me wonder if she's got a broken egg inside her or some kind of infection.

Anyway, I imagine a bath would be a good first step. Obviously be careful not to drown her if you do, since she's not very responsive--but I should think getting her cleaned up would at least help.

Good luck. I hope someone more knowledgeable chimes in soon.

3. RachelJoy

Apr 15, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I'll try with the bath. I'm particularly concerned as I'm going out of town tomorrow for 5 days and my husband is on his own with the kids, dog, and hens. Hopefully just getting her cleaned up might help some.

4. RachelJoy

Apr 15, 2009
    I gave her a warm bath. She was so incredibly passive, which is not like her. Cleaned her butt, tried to investigate if there might be a stuck egg, but it seemed mostly like dried up poop inside. Dried her off as best as we could, tried the blow dryer, but I was afraid that would stress her out too much. She sat on my daughter's lap wrapped in towels for a long time and had a big poop on the floor. I took that as a good sign. Put her back outside and she just stayed flopped on the ground as before. I think she went to sleep out there with her beak tucked into her feathers. I just put her in the nesting box on some clean wood shavings for the night, but I'm not feeling very optimistic. I'll be gone before first light tomorrow, so I think I won't even check on her before I go (don't want to start out a business trip mourning a chicken). Hope that the family won't have to deal with a loss while I'm gone, but I have a feeling that might be what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by