Lethargic hen with undigested grains in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DorisBondo, Jan 26, 2014.

1. DorisBondo

DorisBondo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Please help me!!!

I have a pet chicken and from 6 weeks I took her to many vets because she had diarheea. She took antibiotics and she was wormed. After the treatment she stop to make diarheea but appeared other problems. Last week I made a laboratory investigation of the poop and it was negative. I think she has a digstive problem because she don't want to eat anything and I force her to eat special food for chickens. If a give her to eat grains(even rice) she pass them undigested. She drink water(with probiotics) and she is very lethargic. She want to sleep all day long. Another thing is that the poop have yellow urates insted of white urates. Also she is molting but not very much and she didn't make any egg from six weeks.
    Here is two photos of the poop.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please help me because I love very very much my little hen I don't have any alternative because I don't have any avian vet in my region. I will be very grateful if you could give me any sort of advice to help my little friend.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. DorisBondo

Jan 26, 2014
    I treated her for coccidiosis. she don't want to eat grit or anything. when i force her to eat, maybe it will be ok to give her some extra grit?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Well if all she is eating is cracked grains (commercial feed) then she won't need grit. If you are feeding whole grains she needs grit. But if you are forcing her to eat then I would be concerned about choking on the grit so I wouldn't.

5. DorisBondo

Jan 26, 2014
    Thank you for your advice. I will continue to give her to eat commercial feed and somebody adviced me to give her Flagyl for the problem with undigested food. I hope she will be ok soon.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you get the Flagyl?

-Kathy

7. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    I agree with casportpony. I also believe that this is due blackhead ( Histomonas or may be tricomonas). Some times the liver is enlarged leading to lethargy and emaciation.
    Flagyl is indeed a good remedy.

8. R.M.Qureshi

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Here is a pic for reference. I lost a hen to blackhead once. It took two month for her to deteriorate
    [​IMG]

9. DorisBondo

Jan 26, 2014
    Thank you very much! The poop in the picture seems to be very similar to her poop. You suggest something else in addition to Flagyl?

10. R.M.Qureshi

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    In our country we have a traditional herbal treatment.

Take a ripe Aloe vera leaf
    Peal off the green skin
    Wash with Vinegar to remove any yellow pigmentations
    take a table spoon of clear pulp crush it and add in feeding water.
    Change every day.

Benefits
    Prevention and cure for
    ND, Respiratory problems, Blackhead, Liver problem, and other stomach issues.

You can also use aloe juice 10 ml/l in water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by