Lethargic Hen With White on Bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nancypo, Jul 20, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I noticed my 3 girls woudn't come out of the coop a little while ago. The one, Pru, was just standing in a corner, so I picked her up. She has some white stuff on her rear feathers, never seen that before. There's some on the back feathers of another, as if she rubbed it a bit. Not sure if this is poop? I think the other 2 won't leave her. I don't see anything else in the coop... They're not laying eggs yet, but should be in the next month or so. I got them on spring break, less than a week old. They're mostly free ranging during the day, but have food and plenty of water, nothing toxic in the back yard.

Should I just leave her alone, as is or??? They've all been really healthy so far, no mites, etc... Help, please as I don't want to lose here....

2. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I should add, they're on pullet feed, but not the laying feed yet. Wondering if I should switch after they start laying eggs or now, as they're about 4 months old.... I did see Pru drinking water a few minutes ago, which is good....

3. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I did a sniff test on her bottom, not poop. I'm wondering if this was a mal-formed egg?

4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I saw one of the other hens has some white poopy stuff on her tail feathers, but she seems ok otherwise. All 3 are really quiet, odd. I put Pru in the tractor, gave her some yogurt, she's eating, but really lethargic, just standing there. I had to force the other two out of the copp, so I could see them. They're eating now... Could all 3 be starting to lay simultaneously?

5. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Any Pics. I am not sure but bumping the thread hoping someone will.

6. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Will post, I'd thought of that too... In a minute..

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Interesting change- I did hold Pru for a few minutes, massaged her gullet, her stomach (freaked me out as her eyes closed), got relaxed and dozed in my arms. When I put her back in the tractor (door open) she ate some yogurt, now she free-ranging and walking around! I'm wondering if she passed part of a soft egg, now is passing more (soon) or the yogurt kicked in???

Here's a pic of her bottom, after I pulled off a smidgen this morning. Mostly white, not very much, you can see my fingers for reference... I'm, remembering all 3 seemed unusually quiet yesterday, resting more in the tractor, not out and about much. I leave the tractor door open when they free-range, as they like to use the roost and probably feel safer.

I just saw she passed a drop or 2 of white fluid. And now another has white pasty stuff too. They're all eating the same, feed in coop (in ther night and part of morning) freeranging, and I give them and a little (couple of tablespons) raw oatmeal (rolled) and barley out on the grass. And I saw no poop in the roosting area from last night. Maybe just plain old constipation? they do drink water every day, but it's been HOT! I put them all in the tractor where it's cooler. They were all just standing behind the coop, doing nothing. How weird [​IMG] unless they are getting ready to lay???

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  8. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Now I just noticed Pru's crop looks a bit distended, back to the massaging. Read up on that and will try some oliver oil for the next few days, see if that helps.

9. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I'm going to post a picture of Pru, I can't decide if she has a distended crop or not???

10. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Swollen crop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by