1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic Hen with Yellow Green Diarrhea Covering Vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dooze, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Dooze

Dooze Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    I saw my hens today Maeve was totally lethargic, not eating or drinking and her vent was completely covered by yellow diarrhea. I'm currently removing the poop covering her abdomen and she's lying down in te bathtub... Last week there was a snowstorm and I was unable to get out to them and their food got moldy... Could this be why? What can I do? My dad will not let me bring her to the vet. Her stool smells horrifically of urine and I'm suspecting a kidney problem?

2. Dooze

Dooze Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2015
    UPDATE: I cleaRed her vent and she pooped. Very yellow and green with white in it. It was completely liquid

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Get some Bird Sulfa Tabs and add 1 tab per 8 oz of water. Mix it well until it is all dispersed in water, and syringe feed the solution if the bird isn't drinking on it's own. Give that for 5-7 days. If you can't get Bird Sulfa tabs, you can use sulfadimethoxine powder and give .25 tsp per quart of water for 3 days, then 2 days of Probios powder in water at .25 tsp per quart, then 3 more days of the sulfadimethoxine powder at .25 tsp per quart. Follow up with vitamins-electrolytes in water. Call a local feed store for sulfadimethoxine powder and Probios dispersible powder. They should have it in stock. You might try a pet store that sells birds for the Bird Sulfa tabs.

Never allow feed to get moldy. Fresh feed and clean water should be provided daily.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by