1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lethargic hen, won't eat, white messy bottom

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by terrishaver, Apr 22, 2016.

1. terrishaver

terrishaver New Egg

May 21, 2015
    Brownie has had a messy bottom for a couple weeks now and I thought was just a bout with diarrhea....but now, yesterday and today, has become slow, lethargic and won't eat.
    Is there an general purpose antibiotic I can give her? I tried giving her yogurt and cottage cheese, but she won't eat. I don't want my other hens to get sick too and we just introduced 13 tiny chicks into the roost this week too.
    What can I do? She's 2 and has always been very healthy.
    Thanks so much for any suggestions you might have. [​IMG]

2. BoomChickaPop

BoomChickaPop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    A dirty butt is a BAD sign. That means she is sick. Can she walk?
    You need to separate her from the rest to be safe. Does she have a full crop?

BCP

3. terrishaver

terrishaver New Egg

May 21, 2015
    She's had the messy butt for a couple weeks, but just yesterday showed any signs of behavior change. She's moving slower, like won't run like the rest for treats and tends to keep to herself more. Sleeping in nesting box instead of on roost.
    I'm going to try to clean it up and make sure something isn't obvious on her bottom.
    Guess I don't know what you mean by full crop?

4. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns
    Full crop is the ball under their neck. if it feels nice and round then she has eaten. if it is empty then she isn't eating and you have a problem

BCP

5. terrishaver

terrishaver New Egg

May 21, 2015
    Just cleaned off her bottom. Huge hunk of dried feces, caked on her bottom. No obvious sores. Lost many bottom feathers in the cleanup, but she looks much better. Now, how do I tell if she's egg bound. She just felt FULL and firm on her bottom side. What do I do next??'

6. BoomChickaPop

Jan 24, 2016
    Relaxing with my Buns

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by