Lethargic hen won't eat

nonsuch

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Poy Sippi, WI
Yesterday evening I noticed one of my Black Copper hens acting strangely. She was on her perch, with ruffled feathers and a rather staring look on her face. I gave the rest of the crew some bread and they went nuts finding pieces of crust. She looked, but never moved off her perch. I brought her into the house and examined her. Her vent and abdomen looked normal, there was no coughing, discharge or respiratory distress. As of this morning, she hasn't touched any food or water, including treats (her favorite sliced orange)? Am I missing something? I haven't de-wormed her recently, but did not detect any external parasites? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm not sure what would be wrong. The only time my chickens did that was after they were attacked by a dog. I hope someone is able to give you some answers
hugs.gif

Ruffled feathers could possibly be a sign of cocci. Also check for lice/mites. I recommend you take a fecal sample to a vet and have them take a look at it under a microscope, wont cost much. They can tell you if it's cocci or worms.

Thanks for the replies. I've been brainstorming and my next step was to de-worm (I thought of Coccidiosis) and start giving her oral electrolytes (via syringe). I lost a chick to cocci last year and the symptoms were very similar. I'll start as soon as I get home from work. I'd gladly take in a fecal specimen, but I couldn't get it to the Vet clinic before they close.

Back
Top Bottom