Lethargic hen x2 days, I need some advice please.

surfinghen

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Santa Cruz, California
Hello all....I have been raising and keeping hens for about 8 years now...relatively worry-drama free. I live in Northern California. I need some advice/help with one of mine and my kids favorite hen. Her name is Golden, she is a year old golden Araucana. For the last 2 days that we know of she has been very lethargic. I brought her in yesterday and have been keeping an eye on her since then. I gave her a few drops of water and she's been sitting in a bin on a bed of straw. Her eyes are clear and bright and her comb is bright and looks like it always does. She has been puffed up (making her look like an owl) and just sitting. I tried to get her to eat yesterday some bread I soaked in plain yogurt in case she ate something, but she's didnt nibble it at all. She did stand up and is looking out of the bin now and pooped a small amount of bright green and brown poop. She is now sleeping. I've felt what I think is her crop, not much to feel, it's seems empty. and her bottom is clean, her vent is closed and I did feel her tummy, it feels squishy but I didnt feel an egg. Any advice or anything else I can do for her would be greatly appreciated. She's a beautiful bird and my daughters just love her. Thank you!

Here is a picture of Golden our sick hen..she pecked at some bread and yogurt a while ago but has been mostly sleeping.
Any one have any thoughts as to what might be the problem with our girl???
Thanks so much.

We always have a chicken or two every 6 months that goes a little lethargic for a little while, but snaps out of it after a day or two. I would boost up her system with scrambled egg, plenty of water, and a little warmth. Also, some water mixed with her feed to form a mush. It might jump start her into feeding and watering on her own.

Lube up a finger and go into the vent to see if there is an egg....this will get the hen pushing as well and may help clear her if there's constipation.

Has she been hanging in a nest box or sitting on eggs a lot...could be going broody, that will put them into a funk.

Since you don't have any other symptoms it's hard to say...but I generally don't worry unless the lethargy is accompanied by other symptoms.

Keep us posted please

I dont think she's broody..my daughter found her on the roost, facing the back wall all puffed up, and I didnt remember seeing her out in the yard the prior day. I am going to make her some mash and try and get some water in her. Shes still resting in her box by the heater. I'm going to take her outside and see if I can get her up and walking a bit too. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

ok so I took her outside for some fresh air and to see if she's feeling better and this is what she pooped...my daughters are keep an eye on her in the yard. She is still not eating thus far, but is making her way out to the other hens.

With the bright green poo, your Golden has most likely been starving herself for a while. It's hard to tell with all those feathers, I know. I'll bet her breast bone is real sharp.

If her crop is empty, she may have a blockage further down where you will not be able to get to it. The poo you show here is fluid that has gotten passed lthe blockage.

Sorry about your hen
hugs.gif

Her breast bone is rather pronounced...Is there anything we can do to clear the blockage and get her feeling better. She was out in the yard with the other hens just walking around and not eating. She did drink some water tho.

Try to get her to drink as much water as possible. If she gets worse, give her some sav-a-chi you ck
also, w.atermelon will help. Sometimes a little mineral oil to the vent can get things going.

Last edited:
I lost a hen who had similar symptoms although she did begin to eat.....she just lost too much weight. I added cayenne pepper to her water as a dewormer....just enough to make the water pinkish red....she was eating in 24 hours....does golden just randomly fall asleep as she is pecking around the yard with the others?

She's been in the house with me all day just dozing on and off in the bin...when she was outside with the other hens she was acting ok just walking around not doing usual chicken stuff tho. She pecked at stuff but didnt eat anything or scratch around with her sisters. She did drink some water tho. I just got her to eat some mash ( pellets soaked in water and mashed up with some plain yogurt) She standing up and looking out of the bin now..I'll keep trying to feed her and get her some more water too.

Back
Top Bottom