Lethargic hen

pfields

Songster
5 Years
Mar 23, 2014
Central Texas Coast
My Coop
My Coop
Yesterday I noticed one of my GSL hens was acting very lethargic. She hung out by the water fountain and drank constantly. Her comb is bright red and I noticed her legs are very red. She doesn't appear to have leg mites. When I picked her up some liquid ran out of her mouth and her poo looks like the white of an egg. Right now I have her in the house in the bathtub. Any suggestions of what might be wrong with her?

Exact same thing happened to my hen, lethargic, liquid coming from mouth, watery poo, etc. She also drank a lot and didn't eat. However, I didn't do anything for my hen. And she is now completely better. Does she have bloody droppings?

No, no bloody droppings. They are not normal looking though. Yesterday she just stood by the water fountain and drank water but didn't eat or move around. This morning all the hens were eating their morning treat and she just stood still so I brought her into the house. She just stands in the tub (I lined it with puppy pee pads).

Maybe I should just take her back outside. Once before I had a hen that did this same thing. She finally laid an egg in the tub so I put her back out in the run. I'm wondering if this is the same hen.

Runny poops can be a signal of many things... But definitely that something is off.

Have you wormed your flock lately?

Have you checked them over for lice, mites, or signs of their eggs clumped at the base of feathers?

Check her crop. It should be full in the evening and empty in the morning... If it's hard or spongy, she could have sour or impacted crop.

Coccidiosis is also a possibility, and not all strains cause the bloody poops.

Any runny nose, bubbly eyes, sneezing, wheezing, or anything like that?

MrsB

Have you wormed your flock lately?
No, I haven't wormed yet and haven't seen anything to make me think of worms, I've checked all her poo and nothing.

Have you checked them over for lice, mites, or signs of their eggs clumped at the base of feathers?
No lice or mites.

Check her crop. It should be full in the evening and empty in the morning... If it's hard or spongy, she could have sour or impacted crop.
Her crop is empty.

Coccidiosis is also a possibility, and not all strains cause the bloody poops.
I mixed up a dose of Corid just for her.

Any runny nose, bubbly eyes, sneezing, wheezing, or anything like that?
Her nose isn't runny, her eyes look find, no sneezing or wheezing. She only had some water come out of her mouth when I had her almost upside down checking for parasites. It hasn't happen since. She just stands and today not as much water as yesterday.

The only worm visible (to most people) in poop is the round worm. There are MANY other types of worms that can inhabit a chicken, some of them are very debilitating.

If you are going to use Corid, you should treat the entire flock.

If her crop is empty, she is not eating. Is she still drinking? Is her Corid water the only source of water she has?

The absence of worms in poop doesn't necessarily mean there is an absence of worms in the chicken. :)

It's a good idea to worm your flock once every six months or so, especially if it's warm and human outside.

Valbazen liquid goat wormer is, in my opinion, the best thing to use for treating worms in your flock.

I'd also check her abdomen for any lumps or masses.

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom