Lethargic Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by High Prairie, Dec 20, 2016.

1. High Prairie

High Prairie Just Hatched

Jul 6, 2016
    Kansas
    I've noticed that Kate has seemed a little out of sorts the past couple of days ... withdrawn, puffed up, not active. It was bitterly cold so I chalked it up to that until this morning. When I opened up the coop, she was still up on the perch all puffed up and sleepy. I set her down in the run so she could get some water, and she drank quite a bit. Then she slowly walked back toward the coop, passing up all the food. She ended up standing in the straw under the nest boxes looking generally miserable. I brought her in to see if she would perk up with a little warmth. She hasn't. She is drinking a ton of water but has no interest in feed, sunflower seeds, or scrambled egg. She's lost some feathers in the dog kennel so I wonder if she's molting. I'm new to chickens and didn't notice any of the 9 I have going through any major molts in the Fall. She's not sneezing or showing signs of respiratory distress. I saw her lay an egg yesterday. It was normal sized but had a thin shell. I chalked that up to this bitter cold because all other eggs have been normal. I haven't changed feed or their access to oyster shell. I'm going to return her to the flock and see how it goes. I'm attaching pics of her demeanor, her feathers (in case it's molt), and her most recent droppings. I'm a rookie and appreciate any suggestions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. High Prairie

Jul 6, 2016
    Kansas
    I wanted to add that she looked really rough when we got her and four others back in August. Her neck was totally bald, and her feathers were dull and washed out. But with good feed, worming, lice treatment, and love she's come to look much better these past few months until now, when she's just not being her normal, hungry, curious self.

3. High Prairie

Jul 6, 2016
    Kansas
    I'm thinking it might be slow or sour crop. The right side of her chest feels like a squishy water balloon. I haven't noticed any foul odor around her beak or any fluid leaking. I researched treatments here and will try Monistat and possibly epsom salt. She still won't eat and wasn't interested in water this evening. I'm praying she pulls through.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Two Crows has a really good thread about sour crop if you do a search in the box at the top of this page. If her crop is still full and squishy in the early AM, she may have a slow or sour crop. Sour crop usually produces a bad or sour odor from the mouth. Try massaging her crop several times daily. She also could instead have something else going on, such as internal laying, coccidiosis, or others. Hopefully you can help through this with keeping her drinking water. Add some SaveAChick electrolytes and vitamins.

5. High Prairie

Jul 6, 2016
    Kansas
    @Eggcessive

Thanks so much! I found Two Crows great information and tried several of the suggestions. Unfortunately, I found her dead this morning. It's my first loss since we are new to this, and it's hard. I feel good knowing I tried hard for her. She died in a warm and quiet place in the laundry room, and it looked as peaceful as it could be.

6. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry you lost her:(

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

7. High Prairie

Jul 6, 2016
    Kansas

Thank you so much. Our dog killed 7 out of our first 10 chicks. We thought we were doing everything right in acclimating the dogs to the chickens over a several month period and seeing how well others' dogs took to their flock. It was a devastating lesson learned, and we decided that day that we wouldn't be free ranging. We got a chicken tractor, and they already have a really nice run and large coop. Kate was one of five older (8 months old when we got them) hens that we bought to replace those we lost. She was a sweet, sweet girl. It's a cruddy way to end a generally bad year for us. Here's to a beautiful 2017! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours!

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss.

9. High Prairie

Jul 6, 2016
    Kansas

Thank you! I feel like I'm always learning, and maybe I'm better prepared to handle the next thing due to everything I've heard and read from everyone here.

Th

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by