Lethargic Hen!

CknTenderOK

Chirping
Nov 14, 2020
Oklahoma
Hello,

I have a hen that is under a year old, and hasn't been well since last Saturday. She became lethargic last Saturday and started closing her eyes often. For the past 5 days she has kept them close. Her eyes are not clear. She eats if food is placed in her beak. The same with water. When keeping her face and beak clean I've noticed a black residue. She is molting, I know the first molt can be hard on a hen. She becomes more active/feisty when she is picked up. Her crop is empty in am. She had diarrhea several days ago, no blood.. brownish clear. She is standing today, but will not eat or drink on her own.
Not knowing what is going on I have been treating with Corid in her water, also including electrolytes, vitamins, probiotics. Hen has had 2 doses of Tetracycline.
If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181 (2).jpg
    signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181 (2).jpg
    559.6 KB · Views: 34
  • signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181 (3).jpg
    signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181 (3).jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 6
  • signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181.jpg
    signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 6
  • signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181 (1).jpg
    signal-2021-12-17-12-25-56-181 (1).jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hello,

I have a hen that is under a year old, and hasn't been well since last Saturday. She became lethargic last Saturday and started closing her eyes often. For the past 5 days she has kept them close. Today she is not keeping her eyes open. She eats if food is placed in her beak. The same with water. When keeping her face and beak clean I've noticed a black residue. She is molting, I know the first molt can be hard on a hen. She becomes more active/feisty when she is picked up. Her crop is empty in am.
Not knowing what is going on I have been treating with Corid in her water, also including electrolytes, vitamins, probiotics. Hen has had 2 doses of Tetracycline.
If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Thanks in advance.
Yes the first molt is hard on them but if you think she has Covid than that's probably it could she be egg bound? Can I see a picture of her? Is she eating and drinking today? I would keep her inside a garage or shed. And take her to a vet if you can!

Yes the first molt is hard on them but if you think she has Covid than that's probably it could she be egg bound? Can I see a picture of her? Is she eating and drinking today? I would keep her inside a garage or shed. And take her to a vet if you can!

Unfortunately, there is not an Aviary Vet near me. I and my mother have checked for an egg. She has also had a warm epsom salt bath. She is separated from the other chickens, inside barn out of wind. Will only eat or drink if it is placed in her mouth. She is standing up today.
I edited my first post with pictures and a few things in the text.

I was hoping it was an auto-correct. Notice I left that one alone. lol!!
Thank you so much!
Her name is Vivian Leigh. A name to match her beauty. She was given to us as her previous owners rooster took the top feathers off of her...
My mom doesn't think she will make it.
Checked for injuries.. none noted.
Thank you so much.

I was hoping it was an auto-correct. Notice I left that one alone. lol!!
Thank you so much!
Her name is Vivian Leigh. A name to match her beauty. She was given to us as her previous owners rooster took the top feathers off of her...
My mom doesn't think she will make it.
Checked for injuries.. none noted.
Thank you so much.
How old is she? Don't give up hope on her! There's always a chance she could live! What breed is she? She looks like my mottled houdon mix named Mars! Have you hatched any eggs from her? Give her sugar water!

How old is she? Don't give up hope on her! There's always a chance she could live! What breed is she? She looks like my mottled houdon mix named Mars! Have you hatched any eggs from her? Give her sugar water!
My mom is taking care of her. She has given her honey water. What does sugar water do?
We were told she is a Jersey Giant mix, I believe. We have hatched eggs from her!!! Beautiful! We kept 5 out of the batch. One is rooster that is a polish mix. Very good rooster so far.

What does her eye look like? Is there pus, drainage, or bubbles/foam in the eye? The eye can be flushed with eye wash, and Terramycin eye ointment can be applied in the eye twice a day. How much tetracyclines are you giving?
Oxytetracycline is what I have given her two doses of I will have to look at a syringe to see how much I gave her at home. I didn't give her too much. I know this it for big farm animals. I kind of guessed on the amount. :-/
My mother informed she has put erythromycin eye ointment on her eyes the past 2 days, twice a day. No bubbles, pus, or drainage. Her face seems to be swollen.

Attachments

• signal-2021-12-17-14-07-18-533.jpg
    signal-2021-12-17-14-07-18-533.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 7
My mom is taking care of her. She has given her honey water. What does sugar water do?
We were told she is a Jersey Giant mix, I believe. We have hatched eggs from her!!! Beautiful! We kept 5 out of the batch. One is rooster that is a polish mix. Very good rooster so far.
Honey water works like sugar water! That's good you hatched some eggs from her!

Back
Top Bottom