Lethargic hen

SoniaRandhawa

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Hi,

I have a beautiful hen (no idea what breed, save that she's black and a cross!), about 11 months old, who has always been feisty and chirpy. SInce yesterday morning (about 24 hours now) she has been lethargic. I put both my hens (I only have two) in a coop overnight, but during the day I let them out to roam the backyard. They usually both race out of the coop as soon as it's open, but the black hen (Missy) is just sitting in the nesting box - and has been doing all day yesterday as well. When I lifted her out, she ran round the garden for a bit, ate some grass, some scraps and some of the layer pellets that are out for them, but 20 minutes later, she was back in the nesting box. Her comb, and everything else seems normal, just this behaviour is a bit strange. Should I really be worrying, should I take her to a vet or should I just keep an eye on her and hope for the best?

She's still laying - although her egg yesterday was oddly bobbly!

Thanks - very new to all this!

Sonia

She may have gone broody.... but I've just noticed a nasty watery poop. There don't seem to be any worms in it... have taken a photo (of both chook and poop), with my shiny new phone - but can't seem to get the phone to communicate with the computer. Once I do, I'll post it!

worms and cocci begin the same way. standing around, sitting and sleepy. If you havent wormed than do so ASAP. I use 1% ivermection and give 2-3 drops orally. you can do this every 10 - 12 days You can use a sheep drench in the water 8cc per gallon for one day only. For cocci use corid 9.6 solution for 7 days 2 tsp per gallons. 1 tsp in hot weather because they drink more. This information is from foys pigeons on-line. call them and talk to them about dosing. it has worked great for me. cocci kills fast. young birds die in 4 days.

Thanks for the suggestions - she was moping for two days, but is now back on her feet and seems happy as usual, but will look into the worms/ cocci for prevention.

Back
Top Bottom